Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phisher Using Cousin's Name!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Have PC at work. 2 people use it. 2 accounts.

Have a family member overseas who is not computer literate.

Recently started receiving emails using variations of family member's name with ISP's in the UK (BlueYonder.co.uk) and Australia (Bigpond)- he is not located in either region . Both emails contain hyperlinks to a site with an .ru (Russia?) extension.

Opened Shadow Defender, copy and pasted link and it took me to an English language TMZ site.

The sender's email address in one case included the last 2 digits of the year that I was born. The second included 3 digits of a discarded password of mine. Coincidence?

Where do I begin?  It's not my relative. He has trouble using a smartphone.

Thanks

Edited by chiiibill, 20 February 2017 - 05:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Too often, once you open a spam or phishing email, the sender knows you opened it and will continue sending you

emails. Really, there is nothing you can do except block the sender. How that is done depends on which email client

you use. You can, of course, cancel the email account and get another one. But I think the sender will soon stop

sending you emails.

I recently got an email that sender appeared to be from a close relative. Outlook blocked the content and warned

me. Sure enough...after double checking with the relative...she had not sent the email. It was addressed to everyone

in one email address book that she had. She canceled that email account which wasn't used that much anyway. How the

sender got access to her address book isn't known for sure. You may recall that Facebook in the early days would

access the email account of whoever signed up for Facebook and send spam to every address in those accounts.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Illustrious

Illustrious

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

Remove this comment please. Thanks buddy :)

Edited by fluxxi, 20 February 2017 - 06:01 PM.

𝑅𝑒𝑔𝒶𝓇𝒹𝓈, 𝐼𝓁𝓁𝓊𝓈𝓉𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓊𝓈

#4 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

Appreciate the speedy reply, buddy. Thanks.

Should I assume that my cousin's PC has been compromised and, as a result, any private information that I shared with him?

Thanks again.

Edit: Don't think there's anything on my end. I'm running:

KIS

MBAM Premium

Zemana on demand

Hitman Pro runs on bootup

MBAE

ADWCleaner

In Browswers:

NoScript

Ublock Origin    and more

And other apps...but I guess you never know.

Edited by chiiibill, 20 February 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:15 PM

Well, I think you can assume one of his address books has been compromised...beyond that...who knows.

Telling him that and encouraging him to run some scans or even start a topic here at BC would be a good idea.

EDIT: It is possible that it is not the cousin's email address book that has been compromised. It could be someone

elses who you both have shared email addresses with. One clue is if several others in his email address book

has been sent similar emails as you have received.

Edited by buddy215, 20 February 2017 - 06:22 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Will get word to him on scans....and BC.

As a novice, one's imagination can paint scary pictures  (I guess often with good reason).

Thanks for the confirmation, buddy.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

I edited my last post...you may not of seen it. You're welcome..

#8 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up, buddy.

Caught the edit this time.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

The email I got that the content was blocked on by Outlook had this warning: (never had that warning before...)

This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be.
This message can only be viewed in a browser.
Please click here to view this message  (I killed the link click here)

When I clicked on click here...Firefox gave me another warning...so it was a baddie for sure.
Like you...I use NoScript. I think it is the best security add-on/ feature to have while cruising the web.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users