Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I completely remove all traces of my old Win 8 install.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Harold_Poole

Harold_Poole

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

I have two drives with two different OS on them. Win 8 on my old HDD that came with my computer, and Win 10 on my SSD. When I originally installed my SSD OS, it worked for some time, but eventually I had an issue where it was not detected and I had to reinstall Windows 8 for reasons I don't entirely remember. This is where the dual boot issues began. Now my BIOS has trouble detecting which OS to boot up. Basically now the only way for me to boot into Windows 10 is to press F11 and choose my SSD manually as the boot drive. I've tried basically every boot order in my BIOS but it will not let me boot without F11. 

So basically I want to remove every trace of the old OS. I formatted the drive but there is still a UEFI System Partition on it that I can not delete. There are also faded out folders on my SSD pertaining to the old OS and User accounts from my Win 8 install. How do I delete those? It keeps saying I need permissions that I do not have since I'm booting from Windows 10. 

I purchased a new HDD today that I can use to store my files. Part of me wants to just throw the old HDD into the grand canyon, but if I can remove the old drive completely so that I can boot into Win 10 with no issues, I guess I could keep the old drive as another storage unit. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

From the Image it looks like you currently have one OS on the SSD.

Download UBCD which includes Parted Magic. Burn the iso to a CD. In order for the disk to boot you will need to disable SecureBoot and enable Legacy or CSM boot if in your UEFI settings.

Once UBCD is at the main menu screen select Gparted (Partition Editor). Select your hard drive (device) in the upper right drop down box. Make sure you are working on the HDD and not the SSD. Click on your EFI partition and select delete. Click Apply to start the deletion. After deletion you can select the main partition and click Resize. Grab the left arrow of the partition and drag it to the left to expand the partition. Click Apply.

You can delete the Windows 8 folders using parted magic's file manager as you are working outside of Windows and permissions have no meaning. I would be careful though in what you delete. Windows is keeping you from deleting those folders for some reason.

https://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users