Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Create A Restore Disc In Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cartmansdad

cartmansdad

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:56 AM

Hi

I have a new PC which was preinstalled with XP .

I am told I should really have the backup cd, but I dont and the shop has now gone out of business. I tried to backup using XP but it tells me to use floppies, I bought 10 but I only got about 10% of the way before I had used all 10. I have a dvd R but I dont get the option to create a backup/reload disc onto this format?

My HDD is only 40gb and the only things on it are internet connection and yahoo and a few small programs. I still have 35gb left?

What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

The easiest way to do this is with a disk imaging utility.

I understand that Digital Dolly will do this for free - but I have no experience with it. Also, the maker of the hard drive will have utilities for this purpose on their website (also for free).

I use a program called Acronis True Image ($50 US) that creates an image of my hard drive that I can restore at time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

I have a dvd R but I dont get the option to create a backup/reload disc onto this format?

By dvd R, are you referring to your CD drive? If so, then you cannot burn CD's or DVD's on your drive. For that you need a read/write drive. You also need read/write CD's if you are going to put stuff on them.

Another option to use for back-up is thumb or flash drives. These plug into a USB port, and these drives are now available in 1GB or even larger size unlike the floppies which have a much smaller storage capacity. Additionally, thumb or flash drives are more durable than floppies.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 wheeldawg

wheeldawg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:37 AM

You can find the Acronis for maybe as low as $30. Look on www.newegg.com and www.amazon.com.

I have Acronis, but I haven't been able to do the backup on DVD's. I just used a external hard drive. But absolutely get your system backed up.

Another though. There mignt be a partition on your HD that has the backup softwere for that pc, but since it's only 40 gig, probably not. They really should have given you a set of backup cd's, that's just standard.

#5 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:07 AM

if you want some info and some free options:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users