Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RATASS88

RATASS88

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:30 AM

I've been on the phone with both Microsoft, ATT and even Costco support (which actually was the first time I heard about Bleeping Computer).  No one has provided a rational or complete fix for the following.  Every 7 or 8 times I try to connect to the internet, it just doesn't connect.  The fix is to go to the command prompt, as Admin, and re set the ip    The commands being -   ipconfig/release    ipconfig/renew    ipconfig/flushdns   netsh winsock reset 

These commands will allow  for the internet connection but as soon as the computer is turned off (power) and then turned back on  the system reverts back to a non connection mode.   I do have the upgrade, from Microsoft, that was supposed to fix this issue but it has had no affect.    Does anyone know why Windows 10 doesn't retain the "fix" commands?   Thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

Is this a Wifi or Ethernet connection? What is the make and model of the computer? 

#3 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Ethernet,   Dell that I bought Dec 2015.  Where on the computer would it state which model it is?  Thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

If a desktop it would be on a sticker on the back. On a laptop it would be on the bottom or in the battery compartment. There should also be a service tag sticker with a number on it. 

#5 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:42 AM

service tag # FWCR182

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

Here is your support page. There is a Diagnostics section. Click the box for your network card and run the test. 

Have you updated the Ethernet driver? If not then install the Ethernet driver and reboot. It was updated on Sep 2016.  

#7 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

Yes, one of the steps I took last month was to update the drivers.   I will try the diagnostics section.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

Please do the following if the test passes. Right click your Lan Adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#9 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

This was the result from Dell

NetworkCard
The network device has been tested and is operating normally. In many cases, problems can be resolved by correcting software issues.
    • Consider running Microsoft Fix it solution for Wired Network issues .
    • Try Disk Cleanup to delete temporary files.
    • Try deleting browsing history. Browser toolbars and plug-ins can significantly affect performance. Consider disabling unneeded plug-ins
    • Consider running a network speed test. Many ISPs provide them as a free service.
    • If you have the software, consider scanning for viruses and malware.
    • Consider reviewing this article from Dell’s Knowledge Base for additional tips on repairing common wireless issues
    • If the previous steps did not improve performance, reinstall networking drivers from Dell’s Drivers and Downloads
  • I can tell you this is a Windows 10 problem.   Microsoft is aware of the problem and at the beginning of January showed a "banner" across the top of the trouble shoot page that stated  "... if you have WIndows 10 and have an issue connecting to the internet....."   Also,  ATT had a pre recorded message about this problem and had one contact Microsoft directly.   A fix was sent out, via an update around Xmas but it didn't work.   The temp fix is to reconfig from the Command prompt.  My question is why Windows 10 doesn't take this command permanently, why it reverts back after the power, to the computer, is turned off.

#10 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:20 AM

I just saw your current post.   Under device manager, there is no Lan Adapter.   There is a "network adapters"  Will this work?  Thank you

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Yes, it's Network Adapter. 

Windows 10 connectivity sucks on a lot of computers. I am not sure why the commands do not stick.

Some things to try in order.

Realtek has a later driver on it's site dated Jan 2017. Sometimes Dell's own drivers get a little wonky. That is why I asked for the Vendor and Device ID from Device Manager. 

Disable IPv6

If the computer does have a Wifi adapter disable it in Device Manager, do not uninstall it.

Try resetting the TCP/IP stack by opening an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X, cmd as admin. Type the following command

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot.

If you still get connection issues with the new driver and resetting TCP/IP download Windows Repair and only select the Network Repair box. Reboot.

#12 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Is this all on the same line ?      netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt       I thought any time you write a command after the c prompt, it needs a new line.    

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

That is all one line. Please also post the first line of the Network Adapter in Device Manager.

#14 RATASS88

RATASS88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

There are 4 choices under network adapters.   I have the "realtek TCL......."   Under properties, for realtek,  it says          This device is working properly.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

Post a screenshot of Device Manager with the Network tree expanded. You can attach a jpg by selecting More Reply Options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users