Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy a budget laptop or turn intel to amd based pc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tantrik

tantrik

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

Dear friends,

Currently I am using a pc with windows 7 installed in it. The warranties of the processor, motherboard and monitor will be running out soon and those components might fail any moment. So I am plannning to either get a budget laptop or convert my intel based pc to an amd one. 

My PC specifications:
========================
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
RAM: 2GB Transcend
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics 4400, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: one 1 TB WD (recertified) and one 2 TB Toshiba
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., H81M-E
Monitor: ASUS VH168D 16.5"

If I buy a laptop then with that I will mainly watch HD anime (720p,1080p), HD movies (720p,1080p), listen to music/songs, minor video editing (splitting and joining), video format conversion (e.g., avi to mp4), use the internet to download: anime,movies,music,songs, softwares etc, word and text processing and occasionally pdf files editing.

The reason I would want to buy an amd processor and compatible motherboard in case my intel processor and motherboard fails is that from what I heard, amd processors and their compatible motherboards are cheaper than the intel ones. So, basically either a laptop or an amd based pc would do as long as I can save some money, serve my abovementioned needs and last longer.

If I decide to buy a budget laptop which brand and model should I buy? In case I decide to buy amd processor and motherboard, which one should I buy? I never had a laptop and used one before. I have no idea which laptop specifiactions would suit my needs. The same thing goes for amd processor and motherboard. So, every kind suggestions would be helpful. 

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

From what I see...that motherboard is an MSI model, not Asus.  Appears to be desktop board.

I'm curious as to whether you really want a desktop or a laptop system.

Louis

#3 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

From what I see...that motherboard is an MSI model, not Asus.  Appears to be desktop board.

I'm curious as to whether you really want a desktop or a laptop system.

Louis

Depends on which one is more affordable, long lasting and serve my everyday work. I think I will go with laptop eventually because my ups is failing, once in a year I clean the inside of the cpu including the pc components which is really tedious and hassling. But it all depends on how much I should spend for the work that I do everyday with my current pc after it fails completely. If I get a low-cost laptop that will make my everyday work done then I will get a laptop or if I get a amd processor and motherboard that will do the same, I will get a new desktop with amd processor and motherboard. Is it possible to use laptop for a continuous of 5-6 hours?

#4 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

With your current system you could easily drop in an I7. If you get a new motherboard with a new CPU you will also need a new copy of Windows. If I were you I would simply wait for AMD Ryzen to hit the market it's nearly here that way you will have not only the I7 option (4770-4790) but you will also have legacy AMD (FX 6300-8320-8350) but also brand new generation of AMD Ryzen which should bring in some really nice performance for the dollar. I believe it should be here like the 1st week of March something like that.

#5 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

With your current system you could easily drop in an I7. If you get a new motherboard with a new CPU you will also need a new copy of Windows. If I were you I would simply wait for AMD Ryzen to hit the market it's nearly here that way you will have not only the I7 option (4770-4790) but you will also have legacy AMD (FX 6300-8320-8350) but also brand new generation of AMD Ryzen which should bring in some really nice performance for the dollar. I believe it should be here like the 1st week of March something like that.

Thanks for your suggestion.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:13 AM

You're quite welcome tantrik.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:03 AM

The warranties of the processor, motherboard and monitor will be running out soon and those components might fail any moment.

Why do you think components might fail at any moment? Why would a budget laptop not be at least as likely to fail?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

The warranties of the processor, motherboard and monitor will be running out soon and those components might fail any moment.

Why do you think components might fail at any moment? Why would a budget laptop not be at least as likely to fail?

Those were the questions I was about to ask, too.

I have never in all my years of working with computers had a motherboard fail.  Not that I believe that they don't, but they certainly don't with any great regularity when run using "out of the box" configuration.  I've got an old Acer laptop that runs XP that has always run "on the hot side" that's now several decades old that keeps going like a top (and there are a couple of ancient programs that still get used, hence the reason I keep it) along with a Gateway desktop that's been kept on, almost continuously, for nearing a decade now.

I find that power supplies and fans fail far more often than electronic components, and fans are getting longer and longer lived.

Edited by britechguy, 22 February 2017 - 12:09 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:14 AM

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and discussions. Really appreciate them. :guitar:

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:58 AM

2GB of RAM? Ouch....!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

The warranty running out is not really a reason to upgrade, and as already said, CPU's and motherboards don't tend to fail often.  Given what you've said you used your PC for, and that you want to spend as little money as possible, I would suggest:

More RAM (8 Gb is enough for most I think, 4 Gb if you intend to stick with a 32 bit OS)

Consider change to 64 bit OS (particularly if you end up with over 4 Gb memory installed) - 32 bit is dead...

Bigger monitor (16.5" monitors are really small by today's standards, and it has a low resolution).  You can hook up two monitors at the same time, so you could consider using the 16.5" as a secondary display if room allows...

A cheap laptop will likely be slower than your current desktop, they don't tend to be that well made, and are harder to maintain yourself compared to a desktop (removing dust etc. can be a major job).  But if you must have portability, then they are a viable option.

Edited by jonuk76, 24 February 2017 - 09:45 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

Dear friends,

Currently I am using a pc with windows 7 installed in it. The warranties of the processor, motherboard and monitor will be running out soon and those components might fail any moment.

Our office still has a few Dells running Core2Duo processors at 2.4 GHz or so, built in 2006....; still more than enough for -e-mail, Power Point, etc....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#13 tantrik

tantrik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:43 AM

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users