Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start menu woes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RaveBlack

RaveBlack

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:19 AM

Pretty much every time I open my start menu and leave it open for a few seconds, I hear Windows Foreground.wav and From Microsoft Background Task Host starts up. It's from System32 and Process Explorer verifies it, plus says that it's the Content Delivery Manager. It doesn't make a nuisance of itself (no excessive memory, disc, or CPU usage), and goes away after a few minutes or so, only to return the next time I open my start menu. Process Monitor says the sound is from taskhostw.exe (again, legit and verified by Process Explorer), and the output says that it creates a file, runs two queries, and closes it, much like this, but turning off Notifications doesn't do anything to stop it. I've checked my startups and my task scheduler, nothing that could cause it in the former and I don't see anything that's off in the latter.

I've run ESET (online version), MBAM, MBAR, and ADWCleaner, so I'm pretty darn sure there's no virus or malware shenanigans causing this. SFC, DISM, and chkdsk turn up nothing out of the ordinary. Not even anything in the Event Viewer about it.

Is this just Windows 10 being quirky and something I have to live with, or can I at least get it to be quiet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

It is that you have something wrong with the settings, capitally wrong.
or your Windows is corrupted. It is recommended (the fastest) way to fix it, is new clean installation.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

See if editing the registry to stop Content Delivery Manager helps. The page also has a link for a reg file to do it automatically when double clicking it. This is only relevant if you have version 1607.

http://insidewindows.net/2016/08/24/how-to-stop-windows-10-1607-from-installing-unwanted-apps/

#4 RaveBlack

RaveBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

I'd already tried editing the registry to stop Content Delivery Manager, the little bugger still showed up.

I ended up resetting my installation, which took care of whatever caused the issue in the first place. Blissfully quiet again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users