Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk C: /R A disk read error occuredc0000185

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Hey everyone!

So my brother came to me with his computer which isn't working right, and it's gotten me stumped a bit...

So when he first gave it to me, it was BSODing a lot with the error CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED I think. I tried running sfc /scannow and a couple different DISM commands, but none were able to finish before a BSOD.

Currently, I've booted into a repair environment on a USB drive and tried running sfc /scannow again. It gave an error about Windows Resource Protection not being able to perform the requested operation.

Because of what I found pertaining to that error, I next tried to run chkdsk C: /R. It's still in the middle of running that, but in sateg 4 (Looking for bad clusters in user file data), it gives me this error: "A disk read error occurredc0000185". After a little bit more time it said "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters". A little more time and then "detected in file 2556 of name . " The same thing has appeared twice now, the second time with file 2559.

It appears that the command is still running, with and ETA of about 4 and a half hours. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be doing?

UPDATE: It just finished running the command, and it left me with this: "An unspecified error occurred (6e74667363686b2e af0). Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50."

Thanks,

sasschary

Edited by sasschary, 19 February 2017 - 11:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:48 PM

Try booting Seatools for DOS. (burn to disk or USB and boot from it)

You may be looking at a failing disk there.

#3 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

Hello again,

So I tried that, and the program will boot. However it doesn't detect the hard drive. I tried to change the hard drive settings from AHCI to ATA as suggested here, but BIOS only gives AHCI as an option.

sasschary

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

You could try UBCD, there's a mob of good diagnostic tools on there.

I'm really leaning towards a hardware error here, I would love one of these tools to prove me wrong and for your disk to be resurrected.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:44 AM

Try running a Linux Distro on Disc and boot from that , if that fails anytime it may be Hardware.

Otherwise try another HardDrive and Install Win 10 on that.

Id be leaning towards a current Faulty Hard Drive. 

#6 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

Hello again!

Alright, so I'm currently using a UBCD USB to run an HDAT2 READ scan. I've never used HDAT2 before, but from the looks of how it's going I'm guessing you two are correct. It's 4% through the scan (38 gigs of a terrabyte), and it has found errors in 2 blocks and 101 sectors and the sector count seems to be going up pretty quickly. In the time it took to type this it's already up to 120.

Also, underneath the scan bar thing it is giving numbers I assume for the sectors, and it gives the error "Uncorrectable CRC or ECC error on read".

sasschary

Edited by sasschary, 20 February 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

On the bright side the cost of SSD's has come right down recently.

#8 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

Welp, I guess I'll have to look into all of that now...

Thanks for your help!

sasschary

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

You're welcome.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Please do the following to determine the health of the drive.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hello,

I'm not able to boot to the desktop for long enough to do anything. It will BSOD with an error of CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

sasschary

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:14 PM

SeaTools for DOS is a good program, and it looks like you have been made aware that the storage configuration may need to be changed as you have attempted.  I too would suspect that this along with the fact that SeaTools doesn't seem to recognize the drive it is failing or failed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users