Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 Rafaela

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 placemat

placemat

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:47 PM

Hello Everyone, I am just getting interested in Linux operating systems. I have Zorin os 12 on one external harddrive, it is working good. I have just installed on another

Seagate 1tb external harddrive, Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 Rafaela. It installed with no worries, and I have downloaded and installed updates. The issue I am having

is on startup. I get the boot menu, click on Linux , and then I get monitor going to sleep, the screen goes black for a few seconds, and then the login screen comes up.

I log in, it goes black again for a few seconds before going to the desktop. It shuts down quick, but shows the m logo while shutting down. Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:19 PM

It's one of the things about Mint that I get too.

The black screens are shorter on other versions, but still noticeable. Someone might decide to put a nice spinny wheel thing there, like other OS's, in the future. But in the meanwhile we can just be content in the knowledge that something is happening, despite the screen showing nothing...

#3 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

Thank you TsVk for replying. Seeing as I am not the only one with this funny issue, I will ignore it, seeing as the system does startup after the initial weird thing. :bananas:

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

You're welcome.

#5 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:55 PM

placemat,

You say you have an OS running from an External HDD...maybe that's why you're having problems...I don't think Externals were designed for that purpose.

If I take out my Internal HDD with Mint installed on it and place it in a docking station then connect to a usb port...does it boot into Mint...no it does not because the HDD is not connected to the Sata port on the Motherboard as it should be...my two cents worth.   

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

Does your screen flash black between the boot, login and desktops though bob?

That is the question...

#7 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:18 AM

No it does not.

I turn computer on...Black Screen..Mouse Pointer on Black Screen...boots straight to Desktop...no flashing... I have auto login too...does this satisfy you. 

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:21 AM

My bootup goes like this...

black (seconds only)...Bios(choice of where to boot from,,..approx 2 seconds)....linux mint logo (approx 6 seconds).....black (4 seconds, or less)....Done(booted...ready to roll...(this is on a ssd)

I had another linux distro (forget which one) mounted on an internal hd....it would give me some 'blackness' ...annoying....but it still booted. I put it down to the hdd....a bit old, and i have become used to the speed of a ssd.....(so I was probably being a bit impatient as well)

Edited by Condobloke, 20 February 2017 - 12:22 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:26 AM

placemat

How did you install it? Was the drive plugged in via USB or SATA, I ask this because it seems you have no problems with Zorin.

#10 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:07 AM

Hello Everyone, Thank you for the replies. The Seagate external harddrive is plugged into the front usb port., which is blue inside the same as the plug for the external harddrive.  I have no problems

booting Zorin os12 from the same port, and the other Seagate external harddrive. I have also tried Deepin os , and it will also boot correctly from the same usb port. The port is located at the front

of the tower. Asus A85XM-A. It is like Linux Mint is working in reverse. Like it is wanting to shutdown on startup by saying monitor going to sleep, but it does not. The monitor comes back on in a few

seconds, and I am then at the login screen. I have never had any problem with the HPW2072a monitor, works with any system. I used gparted to partition the disk, and it installed straight away,

with no problems. Why it looks to me like working in reverse, is because on shutdown the Mint m logo comes up before shutting down. :bananas:

#11 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:09 AM

Hello again, I should have mentioned before that when i start my pc, the Asus logo comes up, I press f8 to boot from internal drive for windows 7, or the seagate external harddrive. Once I click

on the seagate hdd it goes straight to linux boot options pretty quick, but when I press enter for linux that is when the monitor says going to sleep, and its power light goes off for about 2 seconds,

and then comes back on. I have a black screen again for a few seconds, then just the login screen, no M logo before login. :bounce:

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

it goes straight to linux boot options

You mean Mint Boot Options?  I thought this was the only OS on this drive? and if so shouldn't it just boot without there being any boot options? hmm, I don't really know because I've only done this from USB's, but this sounds like something is amiss.  Why not grab some specs for us, it may tell us something...if not just by luck.

Is there any other info on this Drive, or is it dedicated to Linux Booting?  I've seen others with issues like this, what they did was Re-install Linux but wipe the drive while doing so, and Linux may need to be first on the Drive. 

In Mint Copy Paste the output of:

inxi -Fz

pc

Edited by pcpunk, 21 February 2017 - 10:39 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

Hello pcpunk, Thank you for replying. Linux mint is the only system on the external hard drive. Windows 7 is on the internal hard drive. I press f8 when
the Asus logo screen comes up, to choose to boot from the internal Toshiba hard drive, or to boot from the external hard drive, which clearly states Seagate drive from the usb port. I had no problem doing this the same way with Zorin os 12. There is nothing else on the external hard drive.
Asus A85XM-A
AMD A4-5300 dual core processor
AMD Radeon 7480D hd display
Realtek high definition audio
Realtek PCI family controller network adapter
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit.
I also have the live dvd of Linux Mint Cinnamon, which I purchased about a year ago, and only ever ran live sessions.

Edited by placemat, 21 February 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#14 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hello pcpunk, I do not know if I have done this right. To used to windows 7.
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.11 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: A85XM-A version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 6401 date: 07/18/2013
CPU: Dual core AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm)
Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 3400.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7480D]
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD ARUBA GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio: Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (0.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA1 size: 1000.2GB
2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Expansion size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID: / size: 29G used: 1.1G (4%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 485M used: 47M (11%) fs: ext2
ID: /home size: 289G used: 87M (1%) fs: ext4 ID: /usr size: 600G used: 3.7G (1%) fs: ext4
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 4.1C mobo: N/A gpu: 4.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 178 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 372.3/7108.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

Edited by Al1000, 22 February 2017 - 09:54 AM.
fix formatting

#15 placemat

placemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

Hello Everyone, On my last post at the bottom Edited by Al1000 fix formatting. I have only used Linux for the last month, so I do not know how to fix it. Could someone set me straight on what I have

done wrong please? :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users