Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Xp Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 altishima

altishima

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:13 AM

I just purchased a new Dell pc (centrino) with XP but it came with lots of programs I don't and will never use.

Also, I've noticed that I have over 60 processes running at any given time. I only use a few basic programs on the pc and I'd just like to know which programs and processes I can get rid of or shut down so that I'm not seeing more than 50% CPU usage and 55+ processes.

Also, I'd be glad to show a list of what files are running, but I dont know how to get an image of it.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:55 AM

Non-windows bloatware - that's what id safe to remove if done properly.

Leave all Windows connected aps alone unless you are expert at what you are doing.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:30 AM

Dunno how Dell is - but a recent "accident" caused me to restore my Toshiba laptop to factory settings. And, luckily, Toshiba had an option to not install all their stuff on top of Windows. I still had to clean out the "crapware" - but didn't have to worry about the Toshiba utilities interfering with the Windows tools.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:00 AM

You can begin by reviewing the list of programs in the Control Panel's Add or Remove programs application, and delete the obvious. An easy way to get a print-out of installed software applications is to use Belarc Advisor (it is free) and copy and paste the installed program information to either a word-processing document, or to a post here at BC if you want advice:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:56 AM

The stock list of processes usually used is at:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:26 AM

If you are looking to delete unused programs, simply go to:

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs

If you wish to remove shortcuts from your desktop, simply right click on the shortcut and choose Delete.

If you want to stop a program from Autostarting eveytime you start up your computer, go to:

Start > Run

type "msconfig" (without the quotes) Click OK

Click on the Startup tab. Here you will find a list of programs that start when you boot your computer. Uncheck any you don't want to start when you boot up. (You still will be able to start programs through their shortcuts or by going to Start > All Programs. Unchecked programs just won't start automatically at bootup and won't be running in the background.)

You can Google entries or use the Bleeping Computer Startup Database HERE to research the various startup entries, as sometimes they can be a bit cryptic.

Your processor may jump to 50% usage when it is busy doing a task, this is normal. Once your programs are up and running the computer is 'quiet', your processor should be at a low number, perhaps between 1 and 10%. This is normal. If it is stuck at a high number, then you have a problem, perhaps with a corrupt program that is running.

In fact, it is not uncommon to see a processor go to 100% once in a while, it is just not normal for it to stay there.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users