Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD or NVIDIA what do you prefer ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Exoclap

Exoclap

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

A simple question. Do you prefer AMD cards or NVIDIA cards and why.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

AMD. Much better long term support and less forced technologies that work like crap (Gameworks...)

#3 eth4n

eth4n

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:55 AM

I generally prefer AMD because I don't like nVidia as a company, but that doesn't mean nVidia cards are not good, they can be better than AMD cards, it would depend on the model and what you plan to do with it.

Regards,

Ethan

If I don't reply within 48 hours, feel free to PM me.

#4 oscarthegrouch

oscarthegrouch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:33 PM

I have exceptionally good luck with both.  Depends on what you are planning on doing with them.  If it is Gaming a lot of my gaming friends enjoy nVideo. 

#5 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

I would go with Nvidia. I had a GTX 660 before getting an r9 380x about a year ago. While the 380x is a better card, AMD's drivers have caused about a billion bsod crashes, and general crashes within games, youtube on firefox, and vlc media player.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Funny, I have Radeon R9 380 and no BSOD's. I suspect broken card or something.

#7 hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

Funny, I have Radeon R9 380 and no BSOD's. I suspect broken card or something.

It's only been for about a month and a half, since I upgraded my bios. Problems abound since then, although the last few days it seems to have subsided.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:41 AM

AMD. Much better long term support and less forced technologies that work like crap (Gameworks...)

I agree with the longterm support. I also agree about forced tech regarding nVidia.  Like I told you and this forum before after a few generations NV will stop optimizing drivers for the older cards trying to push gamers to buy new cards. NV does have slightly better performance for the bulk of games and the window for driver optimization is for like maybe 2-4 years at best but you will notice AMD users can hold on to cards longer because AMD does seem to care about optimizing drivers for cards that are older, which does give them longevity. You can still see people holding on the HD 7970 GHZ, HD 7950, HD 7870, HD 7870 cards, some even HD 5970-6970 cards they still keep them

The one drawback to this and the AMD cards is the drivers and the compatibility issues at times with games vs the competition, however it's only "certain" games and only for short durations of time -- not bad for the much smaller R&D budget AMD has. Kudos to AMD for that. Overall AMD is better in the GPU market as far as customer care over the long haul.

#9 hdriscoll

hdriscoll

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:00 AM

Nvidia. I've been using Nvidia ever since my first PC build which was an EVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra. 

I've never run into any problems with these cards. I also wait before I purchase the newest card or install the newest driver to see if any body else is experiencing problems.

#10 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

Nvidia for my 4k screens, AMD for budget. Since I have more than just 1-2 computers running at one time, I prefer not to pick just one side, and enjoy both.

I've had good experiences so far with RX 470-480 series on AMD side, and my ASUS 980ti is plenty for my gaming needs.

#11 mylanta406

mylanta406

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:54 PM

I have always preferred AMD because I think the software is better usually and the size of the cards are generally (but not always) smaller so are easier to work in cases getting smaller all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users