Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

low space on C drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sanakhan

Sanakhan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

I have a "haier laptop y11b" it have 2 Disks, 

1) SSD card of 29 GB, C drive on which windows 10 is installed
2)HDD 465 GB.

Previously windows 8.1 was installed on this laptop and all the applications were installed on D drive, and it was fine showing no problem, there was always 13 GB or more free space available on C. 

then I  installed windows 10,  after installation on C drive,15 GB was still free,
Then due to low space on C, I installed all of my applications on D drive, but as for as I was installing apps on D, space was still occupied on C drive, and now only 938 MB is free on c, and its marked red with error "low space on c" .
now I dont understand why is this space occupying on C drive with windows 10 while there was no such problem with windows 8.1. and how to free out the space On C, while only windows 10 is installed there ??????

Attached Files

Edited by Sanakhan, 19 February 2017 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

Some things to look at.

Make sure System Restore is taking an excessive amount of disk space.

Click Run in the Search Box. In the Run box type %temp%. Delete everything in the folder. Do this on every account you login to.

Run the portable version of CCleaner and clean your browser cache files.

In Windows 10 turn off File History.

Delete your older version of File History if File History was on.

Download and run SpaceSniffer. It will show what is taking space on your hard drive.

According to Microsoft Windows 10 64bit needs at least 20GB of hard drive space. As new versions of Windows 10 comes out they will be taking more space. 

#3 Sanakhan

Sanakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

si

Some things to look at.

Make sure System Restore is taking an excessive amount of disk space.

Click Run in the Search Box. In the Run box type %temp%. Delete everything in the folder. Do this on every account you login to.

Run the portable version of CCleaner and clean your browser cache files.

In Windows 10 turn off File History.

Delete your older version of File History if File History was on.

Download and run SpaceSniffer. It will show what is taking space on your hard drive.

According to Microsoft Windows 10 64bit needs at least 20GB of hard drive space. As new versions of Windows 10 comes out they will be taking more space. 

sir i downloaded windirstat a scanned the C drive, I found few files which are occupying very large space of my SSD, These are 

WinSxS = 8.0GB

Installer = 3.1GB

Package cache = 1,2GB

pagefile.sys =1.4GB

hiberfile.sys = 803MB  (please Check out the screen shot)

can i delete or move any file to other drive just to free up space on my SSD??????

Attached Files

• Attached File  3333.png   342.3KB   0 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Unfortunately you can do anything with Winsxs. You can disable hybernation to remove the hiberile.sys to free up 800MB. I am not sure about the installer. You need the pagefile.sys file. It usually is set to twice what your RAM is but by default Windows varies the size depending on need.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

Before removing hybernation turn off fast startup.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

#5 Sanakhan

Sanakhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:13 PM

Unfortunately you can do anything with Winsxs. You can disable hybernation to remove the hiberile.sys to free up 800MB. I am not sure about the installer. You need the pagefile.sys file. It usually is set to twice what your RAM is but by default Windows varies the size depending on need.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

Before removing hybernation turn off fast startup.

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

i turned off the fast startup and then tried to remove the hiberfile.sys, but this error is displayed each time " this action can't be completed because the file is open in another program" 

#6 DellaVedova

DellaVedova

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:54 PM

As for your problem, I think you should download a third-party software to resize your partiton.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users