Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to access Boot Menu in XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:29 PM

I am trying to access my USB drive to boot up Linux I saved on there. I was able to do it the other day by pressing Escape, I believe, but now it's not doing it anymore.

So far I have tried Escape, Delete, plus all of the F buttons.

Do any of you know how I can access the boot menu before Windows starts up again, and whether I need to be pressing a second key simultaneously, and whether I keep the key(s) depressed, or press multiple times.

Please be as specific as possible, I know a lot less than you guys - as if that's not apparent - and what you might think is a given really isn't, not to me, anyway.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:59 PM

47 people have viewed this and nobody knows the answer? Really?

Does anyone know where I can Find the answer? I googled it, I also searched this site, all unsuccessfully.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

#4 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

It is an Asus, EEEPC

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

From doing some googling the Esc key is supposed to bring up the boot menu but something called Boot Booster needs to be disabled in BIOS first. You could also access the BIOS settings by tapping F2 and changing the boot order so USB would boot first.

See if powercycling helps. Remove the battery if possible. Detach the power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the main battery and reboot while tapping the Esc or F2 key.

https://craftedflash.com/howto-video/how-boot-asus-eee-pc-netbook-usb-flash-drive

This Ubuntu thread may help

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1862951

#6 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:56 PM

Excellent! Thank you so much for sharing this. I will report back tomorrow if it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users