Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Custom Build Story: Video / Photo Editing PC

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 RFclipse

RFclipse

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

Hello BC!

I'm new to the forums and also new to PC building. I'm not a gamer, but I will be using this computer for video and photo editing using Adobe products like Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere. My goal is for virtually no lag when handling the most memory/data intense processes that these applications can perform.

I haven't started to spec out components yet, but I do know that I'd like to go exclusively with SSDs (to avoid R/W lag) with at least 500 GB of storage that's expandable up to at least 2 TB. I'm not certain what direction I'll go with the processor, but I'm probably between an i5 and i7. My experience with the i7 in my 2011 Dell XPS laptop was that it generally ran hot and I wasn't overly impressed with the performance.

I know nothing about graphics cards, so I'm interested in learning about these and whether I'll need a stand-alone card to meet my goals.

Finally, I'd like to keep this build in the $750 - $900 range. I've already got a 24" monitor, keyboard and mouse so this price goal is for the PC only.

I'll start poking around the forums for info and suggestions. Please comment if you have any suggestions or advice along the way.

Thanks!

Edited by RFclipse, 19 February 2017 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

Wait for Ryzen, launch March 2.

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

A laptop CPU is different to a desktop CPU. Intel CPU's generally run hot with their stock coolers as they have cheaper thermal paste. Before we pick out your parts, wait a couple of weeks as AMD are releasing new processors which look promising (release date March 2nd - AMD Ryzen). In terms of a GPU, you'd be looking at something with 4GB of VRAM such as an RX 460 4GB. You don't need a very expensive GPU for Adobe. For things such as Photoshop, you'd need 16GB of RAM at least.

An SSD is fine but I'd fully reccomend having a 2TB HDD for bulk storage with Pictures (I know .RAW formats take up a lot of space). This won't affect performance much, you just need to install programs and OS onto the SSD.

Edited by Planemaster2, 19 February 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#4 RFclipse

RFclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm in no hurry, but I've also never heard much positive talk about AMD. Not that I've spent much time researching, but the general consensus from people I talk to has always been that AMD is inferior. I will do some research on Ryzen, however, and decide if I want to be an early adopter.

Thanks for the feedback about the GPU and RAM. I'll plan for 16GB RAM for photoshop.

As for the HDD, I suppose I could plan to mix SSD and HDD so I have sufficient storage for backup and bulk storage.

#5 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm in no hurry, but I've also never heard much positive talk about AMD. Not that I've spent much time researching, but the general consensus from people I talk to has always been that AMD is inferior. I will do some research on Ryzen, however, and decide if I want to be an early adopter.

Thanks for the feedback about the GPU and RAM. I'll plan for 16GB RAM for photoshop.

As for the HDD, I suppose I could plan to mix SSD and HDD so I have sufficient storage for backup and bulk storage.

AMD has been inferior to Intel's high end CPU for years but if you do a google search of "Ryzen", you'll hear many good things from the leaked benchmarks that suggest the value is pretty good. In fact, a $500 Ryzen CPU has been benchmarked to beat Intel's $1000 CPU.

#6 RFclipse

RFclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

In fact, a $500 Ryzen CPU has been benchmarked to beat Intel's $1000 CPU.

Cool, I'll check it out. My only real reference is people aound the office complaining about how IT always goes cheap with the AMDs rather than Intel. Not such a data-driven analysis :)

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

Cool, I'll check it out. My only real reference is people aound the office complaining about how IT always goes cheap with the AMDs rather than Intel. Not such a data-driven analysis :)

How should I say this. Well, strictly saying, those people probably have very little knowledge about computers so when it comes to opinions about computers, they are idiots.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 19 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#8 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

AMD CPU's aren't bad, they're just budget oriented. Their CPU Architecture hasn't been on par with Intel's for a while so they dipped down to the budget market for a while. They are great for PC's on a budget as Intel mostly have dual cores under $100 whilst AMD have Quad cores under $100 (IPC isn't as good though). The new Ryzen processors seem to have better multi core support which is very good for Photoshop.

Edited by Planemaster2, 19 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:28 PM

Adding to that. If "Intel machine" is suddenly replaced with little cheaper "AMD machine", 99% of people won't notice any difference.

#10 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

Adding to that. If "Intel machine" is suddenly replaced with little cheaper "AMD machine", 99% of people won't notice any difference.

Because 99 most people get a computer for things such as Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, Facebook where you wouldn't notice. Before, Intel CPU's made sense if you wanted a Workstation, Gaming, Rendering etc... PC as you can see the performance benefits.

#11 RFclipse

RFclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

Ok, here's a baseline parts list. I will shop around for better value on many components, but I'd be interested in feedback on the specs I chose based on my intended use (photo/video editing). The i5 is just a placeholder for now. I do plan to check out the Ryzen.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HmQB7h

Also, will I need separate sound and wifi cards or are those integrated?

#12 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

Ok, here's a baseline parts list. I will shop around for better value on many components, but I'd be interested in feedback on the specs I chose based on my intended use (photo/video editing). The i5 is just a placeholder for now. I do plan to check out the Ryzen.

Also, will I need separate sound and wifi cards or are those integrated?

An RX 460 4GB would be enough (as opposed to the RX 480 8GB). Video editing is CPU intensive so spend more on the CPU. The sound card will be integrated but the WIFI card will need to be bought.

Edited by Planemaster2, 19 February 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#13 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,347 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

I would swap Samsung TLC drive to something more reliable. Samsung has already have serious problems with two TLC drive models (840 and 840 Evo).

#14 RFclipse

RFclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks all. Here's the latest based on the feedback.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vqgpWX

#15 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Swapped out the HDD to a well reviewed one and added a wireless card. Some things may change however as Ryzen CPU's require a new motherboard. To save a bit of cash, you just need a 1x16 GB stick of RAM if you aren't gaming. Speed doesn't matter in what you want to do. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T9YwHN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users