Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Siteadvisor Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zemoman

zemoman

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:17 AM

hi i have Mcafee Siteadvisor iv had it for about 2 weeks now and lately every time i close internet explorer this pop up comes up saying "McAfee Siteadvisor has incountered a problem and need to close" and it tell me if i want to send an error report or not (i usually click on dont send error report). Anyways can anyone tell me how to fix this.

THANX IN ADVANCE :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

Yea I get that too. It just started. I have ran SiteAdvisor for a long time. Since you got it also, I think its a problem with SiteAdvisor.

What I do, and you may want to, is turn off Error Reporting in Windows. Just FYI
Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Error Reporting>click on "Disable Error Reporting"

Cilypudi said you can also disable the pain in the ass Dr. Watson program, but that is a little more involved and requires copy and export of the AeDebug key. You can Google how to do it.

Hope this helps.
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#3 BigFish

BigFish

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:16 AM

I had that exact error and got frustrated and removed it too. But McAfee lets random people review sites ... I am not really comfortable with alot of their "opinions".

BigFish

#4 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

ok well im going to try reinstalling the program to and see what happens thank you all for your help.
ROOTKITS BAD!

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

That's what I was going to ask, do you have the latest version installed?
v. 23 build 3534

Let us know how it goes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:35 AM

I have the latest version of McAfee Site Advisor and I get that error quite often.
Posted Image

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:52 AM

I'm still running V = 22.0 Build = 3532.

I guess I won't install the latest build as I don't have any problems.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 cilypudi

cilypudi

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

I get the error message occasionally, and my program says I now have "Version 1.5.1.3 [Build 3472], 12:47 27-Jul-2006". It's not a big problem.

@BigFish.....the random opinions on Site Advisor I find sometimes intriguing. The program itself is interesting to CilyPudi on many levels. I find myself exploring the ratings of links, check out email sources, cookies used, the registry breakdown of downloaded programs and all kinds of stuff. And of course, I can post whenever a site tries to attack me! Great revenge.

I was a charter Beta tester back when everyone was afraid to sign up because of feared privacy issues. I am listed on the site as a O-Fish-al beta tester, whatever.

To me, the program IS a little invasive as they save a ton of info about your browsing behavior, but I ain't doing enough that the Feds should notice (hee hee). I enjoy having it while I surf anyway.
The Muses manifest between the Mouse and the Chair.

#9 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

That's what I was going to ask, do you have the latest version installed?
v. 23 build 3534

yes i do have the latest version. I dont get that eror thing any more because i reinstalled it. If anyone has the same porblem just reinstall it it should work. If you do want to reinstall go to add/remove programs on your control panel and delete it then download it from the site you origanally got it from, if you forgot then you can download it here:

http://www.download.com/McAfee-SiteAdvisor...4-10566380.html

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:
ROOTKITS BAD!

#10 zemoman

zemoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

WIERD :thumbsup:

I closed my internet explorer borwser for a sec then opened it back up and McAfeesiteadvisor WAS GONE! I went to add/remove programs and clicked on remove and it said that the program was already removed, and it told me if i wanted to just remove it from the add/remove program list, so i removed it from the add/remove programs lis and tried to reinstall it i wne to the website downloaed it and went through the process, and it still wont show up on my IE!?!? Can anyone help me on this issue.
ROOTKITS BAD!

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

You could see if it is in your program file. C/ program file/ SiteAdvisor
Check also in My Downloads. My Downloads is found in My Documents

Move/delete the file(s) to the recycle bin

Do a search for SiteAdvisor and move/delete any files to Recycle Bin

You could then either download and reinstall or not. Your choice. Don't have a clue why it is being difficult.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

May need to uninstall from Firefox > tools > extensions
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users