Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What information does ASK or APNToolBar Collect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eeg710

eeg710

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Hello,

I am helping someone who has had the ASK Toolbar installed. I have located a bunch of files relating to it using Malwarebytes and want to know what types of personal data may have been collected. Does it monitor keystrokes? Just cookies? Does anyone have this information? I have Googled a bunch of different related queries and the most specific information I could find was "Personal data." Thanks in advance for your help.

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:08 PM

It dosnt monitor keystrokes.

My opinion is that it slipped into that PUP-Malware class when it started being bundled as a add-on to other software or did things like change your start page or became the default search engine automatically.

Options already checked for you. At one time a Java install even tried to push it.

This was a few years ago and these practices may have changed by now.

Personally I wouldnt use any toolbar.

http://www.ask.com/privacy-policy

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users