Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Reserved Partion On Wrong Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ryevick

ryevick

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I reinstalled my Windows 7/64 OS and forgot to unplug 'additional' HDDs when I did so. This caused Windows assign it as Disk 3 instead of Disk 1 and to install the System Reserved partition on a separate HDD and not on my SSD with the OS. It also made the partition visible and gave it a letter. I of course did not realize any of this until spending almost 2 days reinstalling all of my programs and updates & organizing my OS. After discovering this, I took a chance and deleted the System Reserved partition, then created a new one on my C drive with the OS, unplugged the additional HDDs, rebooted with a Windows 7 Repair Disc and told it to repair the OS. I had read this was the thing to fix the System Reserved partition content but it did not.

My questions are:

1) Windows is running fine without any problems I can see. Is there a way to fix these discrepancies before I do a Windows Backup to protect my OS?

2) I have an ASUS Z97-E Motherboard and I want to find out which 'slot' should my OS/SSD be on to change it to Disk 1 in Windows? I am away from home right now but I believe it is the first spot on the data ribbon cable from the MB.

Attached Files

Edited by ryevick, 18 February 2017 - 11:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

Using Repair Disc in the way that you used it will not create a reserved partition. The process of building a reserved partition is handle by the media during install. If the drive is already partitioned and formatted you will not get a prompt to create this system reserved partition. The drive must be cleaned and unallocated with no partition volumes. Be sure your other drives do not have a reserved partition as they will conflict and also remove them from the system. Be sure that your ssd is plugged into first sata port. Be mindful that If you swap drives a lot it's possible to accidentally put the boot drive on a different sata port and then wind up without windows booting. That is because the boot config information differs than what the drive is actually plugged into.

So you need just have the sdd installed properly and use Repair Disc and go to the command prompt and from there use the diskpart utility to clean the ssd. Once that is done then install Windows and it should prompt to create the system reserved boot partition.

Once you access the command prompt, the commands are simple pressing enter after each...

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean

exit

shutdown /s

#3 ryevick

ryevick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:58 PM

Well as I mentioned I spent A LOT of time setting up the OS. Being away from home a lot I don't have the time to do this all again. There should be a way for Windows to populate the System Reserved partition without having to reinstall Windows. I created the partition already. It seems to be running OK, I'll just deal with it until my aggregation gets the better of me.

Attached Files

Edited by ryevick, 18 February 2017 - 11:37 PM.

#4 ryevick

ryevick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:14 AM

I guess I'll look to one of these websites for an answer.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms=e5WqWPjdCKCjjwTIo7SoCw&q=rebuild+system+reserved+partition+windows+7

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

The suggestion technonymous made is sound.  I would have made the same suggestion.  The only thing that I would add would be to disconnect any other mass storage device/s or usb storage devices before making the installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:45 PM

Well as I mentioned I spent A LOT of time setting up the OS. Being away from home a lot I don't have the time to do this all again. There should be a way for Windows to populate the System Reserved partition without having to reinstall Windows. I created the partition already. It seems to be running OK, I'll just deal with it until my aggregation gets the better of me.

System reserved is supposed to be in the front of the C drive.

You C drive status says.....System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition.

Your system reserved partition says nothing and is not doing anything.

Under a normal installed OS the System Reserved partition would be on the front of the drive and it's status would be...

(System Reserved) System, Active, Primary Partition.

(C:)Boot, Page, File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition.

The one that is System and Active is the one that boots first and boots c: from the information contained in the boot config on the System Reserved partition.

If you plan on using Windows encrpytion (Bitlocker) this partition must be created during install of the OS.

This is why I suggested starting over and clean with diskpart and then install Windows. You should get a prompt during the formatting stages to create it.

#7 ryevick

ryevick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I deleted the System Reserved partition that Windows made on a different HDD. I then created the System Reserved partition you see now in the pic I attached, hoping to be able to set it up somehow as one Windows could adopt.

I know I messed up and also know the right way I SHOULD have done it.

I was looking for a way to do this WITHOUT reinstalling Windows. If this can't be done I will just delete the one that is showing now.

Will this cause any problems in creating or using a Windows Backup Image onto an external drive for recovery purposes... using Windows Backup and Recovery?

Edited by ryevick, 20 February 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:02 AM

To reiterate... see post #5.  This advice is not going to change.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users