Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, might have loaded Win 10 to M.2 incorrectly.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 samtay32

samtay32

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Good afternoon all. 

Working with: 

x99a-ii motherboard
Samsung 960 pro M.2 SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

disclaimer: First time building a PC

When I booted the PC it went straight into the BIOS. M.2 was set to priority and the BIOS also saw my HDD. Everything looked good. (AFTER THE FACT) I believe my mistake was not going into the boot menu and messing with the CSM and Secure Boot settings. 

I hastily restarted and booted my PC for the first time after checking the BIOS, installed WIN 10 PRO through a USB stick. 
Selected my M.2 SSD and partitioned it through the windows setup and continued with the install. ***(Initially, when I had the HDD installed as well it only saw my HDD or combined the two so I couldn't tell where the OS was being directed to, therefore I unplugged the HDD and restarted with the install)

Pc rebooted after install and everything looked fine, went straight into windows. I powered off, connected my HDD back and powered back on. This time it booted right into BIOS and only seeing the HDD. So I powered off, unplugged the HDD and powered back on, it booted right up into windows. 

If I go and restart windows, the PC power cycles like it should on a restart but boots into BIOS. If I power off the PC then it back on it will boot right up into windows aka recognized the M.2. (And if I power off then back on and open BIOS it will see the M.2. but even if it does, if i were to hit F10 to save and exit BIOS, it closes BIOS, restarts and opens BIOS and doesn't see the M.2)

BIOS SPECS are set to the following:
*Under boot>csm>launch csm is enabled
*Under boot>secure boot>os type is set to Windows UEFI mode

I went on Youtube and saw people going into the BIOS before installing Windows and going into the boot section, selecting csm, and changed the launch csm to disable. Then backing up they go to secure boot, changing the os type to other os, then they select key management and clear secure boot keys

they save those settings boot back up with the USB installed, install windows onto the M.2. and when the install reboots they go back into the BIOS before the install is fully finished and they change the settings under the boot tab again.

Under the boot tab, they go back and select secure boot and change the os type to Windows UEFI mode then they select key management and select install default secure boot keys, hit F10 to save and allow windows to finish.

Provided the video link below

http://

If this is the correct process, my real questionS here are, do I need to erase windows off the M.2 and reinstall the way the video shows or is there a way to remedy this from the BIOS?

If I need to wipe the M.2 how do I erase Windows off of my M.2 (the only storage I have hooked up at the moment) and restart this process from the start like it's my first time booting to the BIOS?

SIDE NOTE

As far as the M.2 and HDD is concerned I'm aware that some SATA ports will be disabled and ill need to find an SATA port the HDD can be plugged into that will not interfere with the M.2. lane. 

Also, my Sata Controllers 1 and 2 (mode selection) is set to AHCI

I also did a BIOS flash update (successful) even before installing WIN 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Pc rebooted after install and everything looked fine, went straight into windows. I powered off, connected my HDD back and powered back on. This time it booted right into BIOS and only seeing the HDD. So I powered off, unplugged the HDD and powered back on, it booted right up into windows. 

Is this how the computer is still acting. If the HDD is disconnected the computer boots normally?

I don't know if I would be clearing the SecureBoot keys in UEFI firmware though. I would disable SecureBoot and CSM boot with the HDD drive disconnected before installing Windows 10.

If you can boot the SSD with the HDD attached open disk management. Is there a EFI partition formatted FAT32 on the HDD?

#3 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:36 PM

Here is a link to my screenshot. Posted it to Imgur (didn't know how to upload media on this forum)

http://imgur.com/ovalBgF

Side note. If i open FIle Explorer and select "this PC" Local disk only shows what i believe to be the M.2 storage (439g/473g available). Doesn't even show the HDD drive.

Another side now...if I have NOTHING besides an anti virus and OS installed onto the M.2, why is my 512g storage only 473g? Under Disk Management it looks like my HDD which is suppose to be 3T only showing 2797g availible. Where could 202g go? In the BIOS this HDD shows 3001g. 

#4 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

Is this how the computer is still acting. If the HDD is disconnected the computer boots normally?

I don't know if I would be clearing the SecureBoot keys in UEFI firmware though. I would disable SecureBoot and CSM boot with the HDD drive disconnected before installing Windows 10.

If you can boot the SSD with the HDD attached open disk management. Is there a EFI partition formatted FAT32 on the HDD?

Also you said "I would disable SecureBoot and CSM boot with the HDD drive disconnected before installing Windows 10."

I've already installed Windows onto the M.2, I'm actually responding to you on that PC. How can I delete whats on the M.2 to allow me to reinstall windows the correct way?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

Before doing a reinstall you can boot correctly with the HDD disconnected, correct?

Is Disk 1 your HDD? If yes then delete the System Reserved Partition. That is what is confusing the computer at boot.

Download Partition Wizard and install. Highlight the 200MB reserved partition and delete it. Reboot and see if that removes the problem.

All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked. This lets you back out if you make a mistake.

Advertised hard drive capacity is never what Windows sees as Windows is binary. See this page.

Edit: Deleting the 200MB System Reserved Partition will prevent Windows 7 from booting. 

Edit Edit: You can do a number of thing to have the option to boot both Windows 7 and Windows 10 if you do not wish to delete the 200MB partiton.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 February 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#6 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

No sir, Disk 1 is my SSD. The screen shot i initially sent you was with the HDD still plugged in. 

I just disconnected the HDD and booted the PC back on and it did boot speedy and fine to windows. Here is the screenshot of the Disk Manager with just the M.2 functioning. 

http://imgur.com/1u0Z59v

What would you suggest now? 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

One thing I noticed but the image is too small to see is that Disk 0, your HDD, has an EFI partition, correct. This means the disk is GPT and can only boot when UEFI is enabled and CSM is disabled. Your SSD, which is disk 1 shows a normal 200MB System Reserved Partition marked active which tells me your SSD disk is MBR and not GPT and can only boot when CSM is enabled. A MBR disk cannot boot with UEFI enabled. That is why when you attach the HDD the computer sees a GPT disk but cannot boot because the computer is set to CSM boot for your SSD drive. At least that is my thoughts.

It may be that the motherboard sees the SSD as MBR and the HDD as GPT and gets confused on what to boot.

In any case if I was to do this from scratch I would enable UEFI mode, disable CSM mode, and initialize the M.2 disk as GPT before the install using the diskpart command on the install disk. I would then attach the HDD and use the bootable version of Partition Wizard to delete the EFI partition on the Hard Drive. 

Edit: I noticed on your last image your partition on the HDD turned RAW. This means you lost the partition table and cannot open this partition to recovery any data until you can repair it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 February 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#8 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to assist me Mr. John. If you have a paypal account I'll be glad to deposit a charitable donation for your troubles.  Please humor my many dumb questions below. Your working with a armature, just build my first PC 6800k, 32g ram, 1070 gc, read the motherboard manual an all. Got this far, I'm very tech savvy but what you suggested is a bit foreign to me, I'll research as much as I can but can you nudge me in the right direction sir. Here are my questions

So I need to go to the BIOS, under the boot menu, under secure boot select UEFI only enable. Go to CSM mode and disable. 

How do i initialize the M.2 disk? That in BIOS? I'll look up with GPT is lol

What's the control keys to prompt diskpart command? When the command prompts, what do I type in? What install disk?

About the HDD, you said to attach it...is that while BIOS is up or do I save/exit BIOS and while its booting up I need to connect the HDD? Use the Partition Wizard that I've installed on a USB and then the wizard will boot at the start of the PC turning on to allow me to delete the EFI partition?

How do i repair the HDD to allow me to allow me to recover any data? Also what data? I don't have anything installed on there. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:14 PM

No donation is necessary.

First Question. Do you need any data on the HDD partition that is marked RAW? If not then you can stay with your M.2 as it is and reformat the HDD. This should allow you to boot to Windows 10 on the SSD and use the HDD for Data. This would save you the trouble of reinstalling Windows 10. If you wish to do this then use Partition Wizard to delete all partitions on the hard drive. Click Apply. Initialize the disk as GPT. Click Apply. Create a Primary partition and format it NTFS. GPT is required because the drive is 3TB. MBR only supports up to 2TB. You can create multiple partition on the 3TB if you wish. After completing the operations on the HDD with Partition Wizard reboot and you should be able to boot directly to Windows.

Edit: It is allowed to have an MBR boot disk with a GPT data disk. 

If you do wish to start from scratch then the first thing I would do is delete all partitions on your HDD using Partition Wizard. Once you have deleted the partitions the whole drive will show as unallocated space. Detach the HDD.

Make sure UEFI/SecureBoot is enabled. 

Boot your Windows 10 install media. When you see the screen that lists language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart    Opens the diskpart command prompt

list disk

select disk 0

clean                This will delete all partitions on your SSD and set it up for a clean install

convert GPT     Initializes the disk as GPT for booting on a UEFI computer

exit                    exits out of diskpart

exit                    exits out of command prompt

continue with the install as you would normally. 

Once Windows 10 is installed install Partition Wizard. Attach your HDD with the deleted partitions.

Run Partition Wizard. Select the HDD Disk and initialize it as GPT. The HDD requires GPT as it's over 2TB and a MBR disk would not detect the additional 1TB. Click Apply to finish the GPT initialization. Create a primary partition and format it NTFS. You can create an additional partition if your prefer not to have only one on the 3TB drive.

That should finish your install with the M.2 and HDD both being GPT

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 February 2017 - 09:18 PM.

#10 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Thank you so much. Let me get right on that now. DL wizard now and i'll open it up and target the HDD and follow your instructions from there. I'll be back with an update soon. 

#11 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

Btw, I'm about to start following your instructions since I don't need anything on the HDD. But do I need to change any settings in my BIOS after this? Do I need to disable the CSM or do anything under the Secure Boot?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

Leave your UEFI settings as they are. Don't disable CSM. I believe after reading your initial post the MB can automatically detect if the disk is MBR or GPT and adjust the boot accordingly but I would have to go through the manual to be sure.

Edit: Remember that it is necessary to click apply before the operation completes.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 February 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#13 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:05 PM

After deleting all partitions on the HDD, I seem already be set to a GPT. I've attached a photo below. There is no selection to the left, or top of the menu or even if I right click to change the  HDD to GPT.

http://imgur.com/a/ibMfU

And yep I did click apply and the delete was successful but it seems it had defaulted the drive to GPT already as show in the photo

Edited by samtay32, 18 February 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

Sorry, that disk is already GPT. Now you want to create a primary partition and format it NTFS. You can always add an additional partition later.

#15 samtay32

samtay32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

No need to be sorry. I'm sorry for all the questions. 

In the instructional video on how to create a partition, it has you fill out some input boxes.

Partition Label;Doi need to label this anything particular or follow the name they've inputted?

Create As: that's defaulted to primary and won't let me change it so I assume that isn't suppose to be changed

Drive Letter: Can I chose any letter or does it matter?

Cluster Size: Can I leave it as default?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users