Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building computer outside the case.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Exoclap

Exoclap

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hey guys !

So since I got this new computer I've started experiencing stuttering/choppy/jittery gameplay in my games. I tested literally almost everything. I did a bunch of RAM tests, HDD tests outside and inside windows OS etc... I tried re-installing windows, messing around in nvidia control panel, turning v-sync on which did help a little bit with the problem but at the end of the day it was still there.

So I remember that the only thing I didn't replace from my old computer was the case. I was experiencing stuttering in my old pc as well but I didn't think much of it since I had that computer already for 2 years.

Now I really wan't to test if this is a case issue by building my computer outside the case on a cardboard. My only question is how should I install standoffs so my mobo doesn't fry or get damaged. I already removed all the parts from the case but I don't know how to go from there.

If you guys have any other tips or advice I would really appreciate all the help.

Thank you so much !

ASUS GTX 970 STRIX OC 4GB

Intel core I5 4690k quad core 3.5 Ghz

MSI Z97 Gaming 5

1 stick of 8 gb ram

600W Corsair CX

Western Digital Blue 1 TB

PS: No parts were ever overclocked.

Edited by Exoclap, 18 February 2017 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

If you have the mobo sitting on a sheet of cardboard - or a wooden desk or table top, or even a plastic one - you won't need standoffs since all these surfaces are non-conducting. Stand offs are used in computer cases because they are made of metal and conduct electricity. A secondary reason for them is to allow air circulation around the mobo but in the testing situation you are not likely to be running it long enough for this to be a problem.

One thing to watch out for - the PSU. Since these are normally cased in metal you do not want the casing touching the mobo. A good idea would be to stand the PSU on a paper back book or two just to raise it above the level of the mobo. And the same goes for the hard drive(s) since these are normally metal cased. Finally, I presume you will have a mouse and keyboard connected. If these are USB connected just make sure that moving them doesn't make the mobo move into contact with anything metal cased.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

+1:   Here is  a link to a bench build technique that tests most of the components before they are installed. It may be more detailed than you need, but maybe you will get some ideas that you can use. You also might try Youtube, just search "bench build new computer" or similar, I am sure there is a lot out there. Just be discerning, sometimes people post that don't know what they are talking about.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users