Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something behind the surface of LCD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

yhTVvBE.jpg

It's a laptop display, ASUS N53 to be precise. I have it for 3 years. Now it looks like there's something semi-transparent stuck behind the surface of the display. I can see the pixels behind it but they look like dim under that thing, so they're not dead or stuck. There are a few more other dots like this at other areas of my display.

What is that? How can I fix it?

EDIT: The display is 15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED backlit Asus Splendid Video Intelligent Technology

Sorry for the bad quality photo.

Edited by Adrian_Machin, 18 February 2017 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

I think it is more likely to be small spots of dirt on top of the surface of the screen. coughing or sneezing can produce this sort of thing.

Try cleaning the screen. I use optical tissues impregnated with iso-propyl alchohol and then wipe them gently across the surface. They are failry widely available, try your local supermarket, under a number of different brand names.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

I think it is more likely to be small spots of dirt on top of the surface of the screen. coughing or sneezing can produce this sort of thing.

Try cleaning the screen. I use optical tissues impregnated with iso-propyl alchohol and then wipe them gently across the surface. They are failry widely available, try your local supermarket, under a number of different brand names.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks, Chris. I've tried using alcohol and wiping, nothing has changed.

Maybe I should try acetone?

Sometimes I connect an external LCD monitor via an RGB cable to my laptop and then I would close the lid, projecting my screen on that external monitor. Often times, I tend to put books or other objects on the close lid of my laptop, however, rarely I've had tried to open the lid a bit to press a key while those heavy objects and books were on the top of the lid. The back panel of my laptop is made of aluminum (or other metals) and is hard, but I guess those tiny dots are made by my behavior of trying to open the lid in that specific situation.

Edited by Adrian_Machin, 19 February 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:36 PM

NO !  Definitiely NOT acetone !  It is among other things a very effective and powerful plastic solvent. Nail varnish = plastic + colourizer + acetone !

I am still of the opinion that it is on the surface of the screen. Damage to the screen itself tends to be in the form of blotches, streaks or stripes. But since you have tried alchohol unless this spreads or you find it very distracting I think you are going to have to live with it. The alternative is a new screen which can involve a surprising amount of dismantling and screens are fairly expansive.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

It appears likely to be a type of screen aberration generally called Mura, due to various causes affecting the light transmission through the optical layers of an LCD panel. It can be a flaw in plastic, or even fungal growth. Unless the panel can be dismantled for examination in a clean room, replacement is the only cure as Chris says.

jei_23_4_043019_f010.png

JEI_23_4_043019_f001.png

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Adrian_Machin

Adrian_Machin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

NO !  Definitiely NOT acetone !  It is among other things a very effective and powerful plastic solvent. Nail varnish = plastic + colourizer + acetone !

I am still of the opinion that it is on the surface of the screen. Damage to the screen itself tends to be in the form of blotches, streaks or stripes. But since you have tried alchohol unless this spreads or you find it very distracting I think you are going to have to live with it. The alternative is a new screen which can involve a surprising amount of dismantling and screens are fairly expansive.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks. I wasn't sure of the safety of using acetone, so I waited for your reply as well as searching on Google.

I decided to simply ignore it. Fortunately, my external monitor has not that kind of problems so I use it as an alternative to the laptop display screen.

It appears likely to be a type of screen aberration generally called Mura, due to various causes affecting the light transmission through the optical layers of an LCD panel. It can be a flaw in plastic, or even fungal growth. Unless the panel can be dismantled for examination in a clean room, replacement is the only cure as Chris says.

jei_23_4_043019_f010.png

JEI_23_4_043019_f001.png

Thanks a lot for sharing this. I didn't know about them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users