Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File transfer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bug1971

bug1971

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hello All. I just bought a new gaming computer. Is there a way to transfer my files, programs, and settings from my old windows 10 pc to my new one. I noticed that windows 10 does not have the easy file transfer wizard. I have a system back up of my current windows 10 pc. will that work on my new pc . any help would be greatly appreciated. My back up is basically my entire hard drive

Edited by bug1971, 18 February 2017 - 10:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

Could I just back up my programs folder from my old pc and replace the programs folder on my new pc?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

"I have a system back up of my current windows 10 pc."

If it is a complete system image it might work as you want but you would still have to find and install all the necessary system drivers. Windows licensing has got if anything more complicated with the introduction of Win 10 but so long as your new computer has a valid Win 10 key and you are using the same version of Windows on both computers then you should be OK as far as the OS goes.

Your programs folder. Again, if it is a system image you have this should work. If your 'system back up' is not a complete image then it will not work as there will be no connection betwen your programs folder(s) and the registry. If this is the case you are going to have to re-install all your applications.

As for your settings, I feel for your pain, but if you do not have an image then the best you can hope for is that your settings are in a separate folder for each application. For more information about the difference between the various types of back up and indeed for advice on how to create an image see this section of BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Chris Cosgrove

#4 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:48 PM

Ok, thank you do much. and yes it is a system image of my entire hard drive. plus I have it backed up onto the one drive cloud. that's what I originally thought about doing but I was concerned with the wrong drivers being put on my new pc from my system image backup.

Edited by bug1971, 18 February 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

If you use your existing system image then you will have the wrong drivers installed, but so long as you can identify the installed hardware you will be able to download and install the relevant drivers, perhaps using a different computer and a memory stick to transfer the drivers to the new computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:54 PM

Thank you Chris

#7 DellaVedova

DellaVedova

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:50 PM

Could I just back up my programs folder from my old pc and replace the programs folder on my new pc?

No, you cannot do this, because it will cause data loss and incomplete data.

My suggestion is that you can download a free pc transfer software, it will do the transfering work for you. There are a lot of free pc transfer softwares, just google it .

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:04 PM

Microsoft has a discount offer for PC Mover Express

Generally software must be reinstalled.  You can move your data without too much issue.

My preferred method is to pull the drive from the old machine and connect to the new machine using a USB to SATA adapter (this one will handle both desktop and laptop SATA drives).  Then copy the data from C:\Users\%USERNAME%\ where %USERNAME% is the name of the user account from the old computer.

As an alternative you can have both machines on the network and map to the C$ share of the old machine using an account with administrative rights.  This is more successful if you have a password on the account.

NET USE T: \\OLDMACHINE\C$ /USER:Administrator PASSWORD

Where OLDMACHINE is the name of the old computer, Administrator is the name of the account with administrative rights, and PASSWORD is the password for that account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users