Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus ROG Laptop making odd, rhythmic, soft "tap-tap" noise every ~5 seconds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 namohysip

namohysip

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

This issue came up recently and I have no idea what it's doing, nor if it will get worse. Better sooner than later, right?

Let's start at the beginning. A few days ago, my laptop made a strange and alarming noise--at least, I THINK it was my Laptop. It's usually so quiet that I could be mistaken. It sounded like a pen tapping on the back of my laptop or something, and it happened shortly after placing it down and waking it up from hibernation. For all I know, it WAS a pen falling down, but I don't think so. However, ever since that event, my laptop seems to be different in a few, subtle ways.

I use an application called Real Temp to keep track of my laptop's temperature. I used to do it for my old laptop, since it got hot often, but now I just have it there as a habit and to see if it's working hard for an abnormal reason. Normally, my laptop runs in an idle state at 30 to 35 degrees C. Task manager indicates that the CPU runs at ~2 to 4 percent. Now, after that strange noise, it's running at the same percentages, but its idle temperature tends to fluctuate between 40 and 50 degrees. Also, based on Real Temp, it peaked at 71 at some point when I wasn't paying attention (but the temperature tends to fluctuate randomly for brief instances, so it could be a fluke. This has been true for all my previous laptops.) It also feels a bit warm on the bottom right corner, as well as the top right corner. Left side is fine.

Also, this could just be my mind playing tricks on me, but it feels like it takes longer than usual for Microsoft Word to load up the "open" option for recently opened documents. It's worth noting that this laptop has an SSD and a normal disk drive--my word documents are all held on the disk drive, while the OS and other critical software is on the smaller SSD.

Now, in the silence of nighttime, I'm noticing a new change. It could have always been there, or this is a new development, but in the top right corner of my laptop, just below the power button and in the same perceived location of the initial, alarming noise, I can now hear a soft, soft "tap tap" noise. It happens rhythmically--tap, tap; two taps about half a second apart from each other. These taps happen every five seconds.

Should I be worried? What is all this? Did the disk somehow get damaged? Did a fan break? I've already backed up my essentials just in case. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Which model of ASUS RoG laptop is this ?  ASUS market quite a few under this label and without this info I cannot get a quick look at the manual or even a teardown video ! 

It sounds like a loose object is getting caught by the fan every so often and probably the only way to put your mind at rest is to have a look at the fan. It could even be a blade broken off although I have never seen this happen it is possible. It is much less likely to be the hard drive since a hard drive making noises like that tends not to last very long after they start making them.

What is situated under the bottom right corner ?  Fan, CPU, hard drive ?

Chris Cosgrove

I forgot - Welcome to BC !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 18 February 2017 - 06:40 PM.

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 namohysip

namohysip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:09 PM

According to my receipt (This laptop is about half a year old) the model is  G752VT-DH72 

I'm not sure what's situated in the top corner because I've never opened this laptop up. However, the power button is there as well, externally speaking.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

If this laptop is only six  moonthe old then it is probably still under warranty - you do not want to be opening it up as this will breach the warranty. I found the ASUS manual and it is not terribly helpful but there are a couple of videos on YouTube which are more revealing.

The manual -  http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G752VL/0409_E10716_G752VL_VT_VY_C.pdf

And the videos -

You would be as well turning the sound off if you run these as there is no voice-over commentary on either, just very annoying music !  The first is a high speed run through of a teardown, the second is a real time teardown but both show where the main components are quite well.

There are two fans fitted in this laptop, in the right and left corners nearest the screen and the hard drive is in the right corner furthest from the screen. Given your description this does suggest a fan problem.

If this laptop is still under warranty I would take it back to your supplier and explain what is happening and let them sort it out. If it is not under warranty then it is your decision as to whether you tackle this yourself or take it to a repair shop.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 namohysip

namohysip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

You're right! I took another look at the back now that I know there are TWO fans, and after feeling things, it seems that there's air coming out from the back of the laptop on the top left, but the air flow is not there for the right side. I'll bring it in--got this from Best Buy, and it's got a two-year plan on it for hardware replacement.

Thanks!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

You now see the importance of quoting make and model when you post about a computer problem !

Yes, take it back and let them get it sorted out - you paid for the cover, you might as well use it. When you get it back make a post to let us know what they found or did to it to fix it. Especially as it is a nice looking laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 namohysip

namohysip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:27 AM

I haven't been able to bring my computer to the shop to be checked on due to time constraints and being unable to part with this computer for a timeframe that, as quoted by tech support, could be up to two weeks. I planned on doing that during summer vacation. However, I've come here to report that, just a few minutes ago, I heard a sort of "KtTOK" noise coming from the broken fan area, and suddenly it started whirring away. My computer's idle temperature is returning to what it used to be.

Whatever got jammed there must have eventually gotten out from the fan's constant, gentle bumping...

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

I would still take it back, explain the story and see what your supplier has to say.

I know that anybody's quality control can slip now and again but laptops are not normally built with loose bits of 'stuff' floating around inside them, In the aircraft industry they call it 'Foreign Object Damage' and go to great lengths to avoid it. That something (1) could be part of something important or (2) could still linger around to cause damage to something else inside your laptop. No chance of borrowing a laptop for a couple of weeks ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users