Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File system filter warning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spooons

Spooons

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:11 AM

Hi, I'm new here but hopefully I can get some answers as a 30min google search didn't really give me much to work on. 

I've been going through my System logs today and I found a few warnings that stood out related to the Filter Manager.

File System Filter 'wcifs' (Version 10.0, ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎15T18:42:03.000000000Z) failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy8'.  The filter returned a non-standard final status of 0xC000000D.  This filter and/or its supporting applications should handle this condition.  If this condition persists, contact the vendor.

Difference between this error and others of its kind is that the ShadowCopy number can be 5, 8, 6 or 7, all other values are exactly the same otherwise. 

Going through the logs I found out that "wcifs" was loading properly and gave no errors until yesterday. The only thing I did that day was to update CCleaner and do a registry/browser cleanup and install Hitman.Pro Alert that I have since uninstalled but the errors are still being generated. 

The rate at which they log seem to be entirely random with periods of hours in between or minutes/seconds but I've only seen a handful so far.

Going through the logs a bit more in-depth I found out that at the exact same time I got the very first error of this kind that the application logs recorded this event.

Chkdsk was executed in verify mode on a volume snapshot.  

Checking file system on \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Examining 1 corruption record ...

Record 1 of 1: Bad index "$I30" in directory "\Users\Bisk\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\JumpListIconsOld <0xd23,0x99>" ... no corruption found.

1 corruption record processed in 0.1 seconds.

Windows has examined the list of previously identified potential issues and found no problems.

No further action is required. 

I haven't experienced any issues so far, but I would very much like to know what's the cause of this as I've never had this issue before. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

Where are you seeing these errors, the Event Viewer?

If this is the Event Viewer you should be aware that there will always be warnings and errors of some sort with software updates, startup and processes.  For this reason you need to take what you are seeing as a "possible" warning or error.  If you are concerned about what you are seeing you should run scans to see if there are problems that need correcting.  Chkdsk /r can determine if there are problems with bad sectors and the general health of the hdd.  But if you are concerned about the hdd's health you should run a diagnostic scan with a program like SeaTools for Windows.

Edited by dc3, 18 February 2017 - 12:03 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Spooons

Spooons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Where are you seeing these errors, the Event Viewer?

If this is the Event Viewer you should be aware that there will always be warnings and errors of some sort with software updates, startup and processes.  For this reason you need to take what you are seeing as a "possible" warning or error.  If you are concerned about what you are seeing you should run scans to see if there are problems that need correcting.  Chkdsk /r can determine if there are problems with bad sectors and the general health of the hdd.  But if you are concerned about the hdd's health you should run a diagnostic scan with a program like SeaTools for Windows.

I know that not all event viewer errors and whatnot are relevant, but this kind of just started to happen out of nowhere and it's still happening at random intervals. I don't know what "wcifs" is or does, but I don't want to have any surprises the next time I boot up my PC that's all. 

Ran chkdsk just to make sure and this is what it found. 

C: drive is my SSD. 

Spoiler

Another chkdsk run didn't find anything and as far as SeaTools goes, it does not seem to work for SSD's.  

Edited by Spooons, 18 February 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

Don't run chkdsk /r on a ssd, ssds are selfhealing.

Were you running two antivirus programs or had two installed at the same time?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Spooons

Spooons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

Don't run chkdsk /r on a ssd, ssds are selfhealing.

Were you running two antivirus programs or had two installed at the same time?

The only reason I got it was as a second opinion after some pages in chrome tried to open its in-built pdf viewer even though there was no such file to open. I only had it installed for about 5mins tho, as I removed it when the scan didn't find anything. I don't know why it got flagged in the chkdsk scan, but I just noticed that it left its system driver behind. 

Looking through it, there might be some correlation between Zemana and the recent event logger errors. 

Edited by Spooons, 18 February 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

Just as a head up...

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

But this doesn't apply with Zemana as it is a cloud based on demand scanner.  It is not installed and should not be a conflict with a antivirus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users