Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reimaged old XP machine. Will it download updates?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dishdude1

dishdude1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:26 AM

I have an old XP Pro machine I am going to use for some offline activity, nothing sensitive. Surprisingly enough after reinstalling Windows, it connected and activated Windows. Will it also download all updates available? I installed SP 3. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hi, dishdude.

Umm....well, yes. It should do (although you may have to prompt things a little by telling the Updater to run a manual search, I think). I forget exactly, now.....haven't used XP for quite some time..!  :lol:

Somebody else will be along shortly who'll be a bit more 'current' on this than I am, I've no doubt.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:30 AM

After installing SP3 you need to install IE8. Download it here. I believe you can also obtain ie8 on the Windows Update Catalog from another computer.

After installing IE8 download and install the last available Windows Update Agent. This is for 32bit XP.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=100334

Once you have installed IE8 and the Update Agent reboot and run Windows Update.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

If you are only using it for "offline activity", how does downloading anything enter into consideration?

Louis

#5 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

If you are only using it for "offline activity", how does downloading anything enter into consideration?

Louis

I knew this question was going to be asked! I'm using it to experiment with some software that programs battery powered locks, and I might ask someone to remote into it using logmein123.

But to update this thread, I installed this unofficial service pack 4 after doing some research (nothing I would try on a machine I had any personal or sensitive information on) and it worked like a charm! After installing, it downloaded all the updates including the ones released after XP support was discontinued thanks to the POS registry hack.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592522/service-pack-4-for-xp-article/?hl=%2Bpos#entry3834164

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users