Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General PC Mayhem...Possessed PC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 efrum

efrum

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 01:55 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but I'm having real trouble with me PC.

HP Pavilion 8590C
Intel Pentium III
Windows 98
128 mb Ram

For some reason it has been running very slow. It locks up entirely multiple times a day while doing mundane tasks such as browsing the internet or typing a Word doc. It frequently goes 'crazy' where the mouse will rapidly scroll all over the screen right-clicking on everything in sight. This morning it freaked out on me and moved my widows bar to the right side of the monitor from the bottom and opened several programs and docs. I had no control over what it was doing and finally had to shut down and re-boot. Usually I have to hard re-boot, as I will not have any control over the system, or it will be completely locked up and unresponsive.

Sometimes it will simply run very slowly, such as while I'm typing this. I type several words and have to wait for the computer to slowly display each letter until it catches up with me, and I'm not a fast keyboarder.

I have performed general maintenance task, such as cleaning up the hard drive and defragging it. I've run Spy-bot and Ad-Aware. The problem persists.

Sorry if I sound so lost, but I am. I would really appreciate any help you all would be willing to offer. Thanks in advance.

-efrum
Kalispell, MT

Edited by efrum, 10 December 2004 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:30 PM

Hello and welcome to BC efrum.

Lets see if we can get your computer back on track. You may have any number of problems, but I would like to narrow it down to a few categories: Malware (virus, spyware, ect...), Software (Operating System, drivers, ect...), or hardware (components going out, power surges, ect...).

Since you have told me that the computer works, even though it is slow and it works in a way that you do not want (read: pointer movement that you did not do), then it is unlikely that you have a hardware issue.

For Malware, I can point you in the right direction, but will not respond to that thread. How to post a HJT thread

On the software side (or "softer side of Sears" as they put it), I may need a little help from you.

Do you have alot of programs running at a time? Even applications that are minimized are still running.

Is there anything in particular that you can remember that the slowdown started after this point? Maybe a new program or even device such as printer or webcam (those could be driver related issues).

Is it still slow, if you disconnect the internet from it? Better yet, disconnect the internet and keep it unplugged while you turn the computer on. When you are ready for the internet again, turn off the computer, plug the connection back in, and turn the computer back on.

I will be keeping an eye out for the answers. Thank you very much for stopping in.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 efrum

efrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:10 PM

Hi JEservices,

Thanks very much for your response! I appreciate it!

I can't associate the problem's start date with anything, as it's been gradually getting worse for some time now. Only recently has it been giving me so much difficulty that it's having a major impact on my ability to get my work done. I work from home using this computer, so it's been a real pain.

I used to have a lot of programs running at once, but I've had to slowly cut down on that because I've founf everything seems to run better that way. It used to not be a problem at all, but I now find that I have to reboot several times before I can even open one peice of software. Before I could get the system to stop locking up this morning, for instance, I had to reboot at least a half a dozen times.

I wondered if it may have something to do with all of the HP software that runs inthe background. When boot the system now, in order to get things to work I have to ctrl-alt-del and shut down everything that is running except explorer. Then I still end up running very slowly and locking up frequently.

I try to have no more then a couple apps running at a time, but will sometimes have several IE windows open. Much of my work requires me to be constantly connected to the internet, so disconnecting is really not an option.

I the only software I can possibly connect it to is Kodak Easyshare, which my father installed on my computer so he could download images from his camera onot my PC. Could that be the problem?

I'll try disconnecting from the net, as you suggested and post results in a few minutes.

Thanks again,

efrum

#4 efrum

efrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:26 PM

Okay, I shut down, disconnected from the internet, and rebooted. Then I simply tried opening Adobe Photoshop. The machine locked up, and I had to reboot.

When I move the mouse at all it moves in a jerky fashion across the monitor, and more so the faster I move the mouse. Sometimes in order to do anything I have to move the mouse very slowly in the direction I need it to go, pausing whenever it hiccups.

Once in a while I'll actually get the dreaded blue screen of death with a OE failure notice. That usually happens once or twice a day. But more often then not it simply becomes completely unresponsive. Sometimes when it crashes and I reboot it will come up with a message saying that a mouse was not detected. I'll have to click "okay" and boot up, then shut down and restart, and it will see the mouse again.

The odd thing is that once in a while it will work fine for an hour or so, then it will start with the odd behavior again.

Thanks again,

efrum

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:34 PM

Would you mind posting a screenshot of your Task Manager? The one prior to shutting down everything.

How to Post a Screenshot(by Phawgg)

It used to not be a problem at all, but I now find that I have to reboot several times before I can even open one peice of software. Before I could get the system to stop locking up this morning, for instance, I had to reboot at least a half a dozen times.

Was there any error codes or was it just so slow that you turned it off?

I try to have no more then a couple apps running at a time, but will sometimes have several IE windows open. Much of my work requires me to be constantly connected to the internet, so disconnecting is really not an option.

I understand that. Mine would be an addiction, if I admitted it :thumbsup:

I would like for you to try out a different browser, to see if you still have the same problems. Either one would suffice, and they are both free. There are some problems that only IE (Internet Explorer) is famous for.

Firefox

Opera

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:37 PM

I think your prob running to many background processes and need more ram or need to quit some from loading on startup.

How many icons you got next to your clock?

#7 efrum

efrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Okay, I posted my HJT log and just after I posted it I got a blue scren of death.

A fatal excetion OE has occurred at 0167:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated.

when I pressed enter I got a white box that said "The system is dangerously low on resources. Would you like to terminate HJTlog...

When I tried to click on yes the whole thing locked up and shut down.

Was there any error codes or was it just so slow that you turned it off?

There were now error codes. It wasn't that it was so slow, it was completely locked up. No response whatsoever. There were maybe two times when it would resond some, but excruciatingly slow, ending in a complete lock-up. And several times the mouse just went crazy. It's as though someone is remote using my pc at hyper speed. I can't explain it.

I'll try a different browser. But it happens regardless of whether I am connected to the net or not. I actually unplugged my ethernet connection for my test, and I still got a complete lockup.

The mose just went wild for a moment while typing this, but finally quit so I could post this. I have to reboot to get the image you want. Just a moment.

efrum

#8 efrum

efrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:18 PM

Okay, after spending the last half hour re-booting several times, getting system error blue screens, having a possessed mouse, and having to shut down the computer with the power button because CTRL+ALT+DEL wouldn't even work, I'm finally back.

I figured that it was a problem with too much stuff running in the background also, but I'm having these problems even when I shut every process I can find down except explorer.

Here is a link to the image you requested. It's easiest for me to just add it to the gallery on my site. You can find it here.

My machine just had a fit while typing this so I stopped using the mouse and am just tabbing through. Whenever I use the mouse it scrolls everywhere rightclicking on everything, and even opened two applications. I'm very confused.

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:56 PM

I think that you have some nasties running in the background.

Okay, I posted my HJT log and just after I posted it I got a blue scren of death.

Thats good. Well, not about getting the BSOD, but being able to post your log. I will keep an eye out for it.

Here is a link to the image you requested. It's easiest for me to just add it to the gallery on my site. You can find it here.

:thumbsup: WOW you have an amazing site. Did you do all of those, or the company you work for? That is a great way to post your image. I would like to comment on a few of those, but would prefer to see the comments in your HJT log.

#10 efrum

efrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:20 PM

I did all of the images on my site, and many more. I've been a 3D/CG artist for many years and really have a bit of a passion for it. Thanks for the compliment. The site is database driven with an admin site where I can upload images and change much of the site as I wish. A database programmer friend of mine did the programming for me. We share services a lot. :thumbsup:

The HJT log is in the HJT forum.

Again, I appreciate all your help. I've got a big internet site project starting on Monday and I'm not sure what I'll do if I can't get this solved by then...

-efrum

#11 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:47 PM

I was doing some research on the error code that you are getting~ 0167:BFF9DFFF.

The majority of the problems fall into 2 possibilies: faulty RAM or printer conflicts.

Lets start off with the easy one.

Printer conflicts-If you do not have a printer, then you know it is not this one :thumbsup:. The next time that you have to restart your computer, turn off the printer (better yet, unplug it from the computer), then turn the computer on. See if there is much of a difference. If there is, then an update on the driver may work wonders for you.

Faulty RAM-It certainly would not hurt to get more RAM for your computer anyway. The graphic work that you do, surely drains it fast. I will do a search for(1)256 MB. You could move your current one to slot 1 and put the 256 in slot 0 (where your RAM currently is), but if the RAM is possibly faulty, then I would not take the chance, at least not now. I will find the type of RAM that your computer can use, and post back a link to purchase online.

Just to let you know why RAM could have an impact on your mouse movement (and anything else). What is the first thing you do when the pointer stops? You move the mouse around and click randomly, thinking it is stuck, right? You may not see this, but the computer remembers what you are doing. When it wakes up from its mini-coma, it does all of the movements and clicks that you did. On your screen it may appear erratic, but in reality, it is catching up to what you did, if that makes any sence.

I know that you need to get your computer up and running fast to complete a project, so if you can tell me some electronic stores that you have nearby, I will do the search for those stores only. This way, you can pick it up at the store, and save on the time for shipping.

Remember what I said earlier about having three possibilities for problems? I am glad to see that you do not have any nasties on your computer. I do not 'work' in that department, but I am glad that it was taken care of fast. Just do as they request about the anti-virus program. Thanks Raw and Papakid :flowers:

Edited: I found the RAM that your computer uses. You have 3 slots for your RAM. It is likely that you have (1)128 MB already (as opposed to (2)64MB). I also looked at the specs for it, and you can not use any (single)RAM higher then 128, which is no problem. The specific one for you is 128MB PC100 168Pin RAM. The prices range from $35-40 ea, without shipping. I would recommend that you get 2 of them. Even though you do have space to include your current RAM, I would leave it out for now. With 2 of these sticks, it will seem like a new computer again :trumpet: Below is a site for Outpost.com, but if you can provide a closer store, I will post back with a link to that one.

Outpost.com

Installation of RAM is one of the easiest things you can do on your computer. I will be more then happy to walk you through it, if you want to go that route.

Edited by JEservices, 10 December 2004 - 10:09 PM.

#12 efrum

efrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for your help. I don't have a printer hooked up to the PC. I'm willing to give the RAM upgrade a shot. I know that when the mouse is going wild that it's not simply repeating my own movements to catch up. When the mouse stops moving I stop using it immediately and wait for it to work again. Sometimes it goes crazy when I try to move it even a minor amount, and will flash randomly all over the place clicking on things, more commonly right clicking. I wondered if it could be a problem with the mouse, but why would the entire system run so slow and lock up so often if it were merely the mouse?

If you think the RAM upgrade may fix it I'll certainly give it a shot. I'm in Kalispell, Montana, and there really isn't much around here. We've got a RadioShack, and a place called Vann's. That's about it. We have a Target adn a Walmart, of course, but I don't know if they carry stuff like that. I may have to order it online.

I really appreciate your help and I'll let you know what happens when I do the upgrade. Actually, I may need you to walk me through the installation. I took the covers off the PC and HP has the thing built as tight as a drum. Hard to get into at all. I can get some access from the left hand side, but I can't even get to where the mouse and keyboard plug in.

There are a few small dealers in the valley here that I may call in the morning to see if they have the RAM you suggest. If they do and it's a reasonable price, I may just pick it up tomorrow and post when I have it.

Thanks again,

efrum

Edited by efrum, 10 December 2004 - 11:16 PM.

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:05 AM

I did a search of the stores you mentioned, and they do not have what you are looking for :thumbsup: . Finding parts for a +5 year-old computer might be hard, even for RAM. I wish that I had some here, and I would ship it, but I do not.

#14 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:01 AM

I'd like to jump in for a minute
Before buying new RAM you can run some quick tests to see if the memory you have is faulty.

This first one runs in Windows,but with the way your system is running it might fail to work properly:
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

This second one is by far the better one,but you will need to do some work to use it:
http://www.memtest86.com/
and here is the direct link to the file you need:
http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip
Unzip the ISO image and burn the image to a CD.
How-to Burn An ISO With Nero
Reboot the computer and memtest will run from the CD.This way the operating system is not loading and you'll get better results.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#15 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

You might want to pick up a new mouse, and install it. If it does not work better for you, then you can always return it. For 98, you may need the install disk for it, but it will include it with the hardware anyway. I do not see it costing any more then $20, even Walmart and Target would carry them. Personally, I would stay away from Radio Shack.

There may still be a RAM problem, but at least if the mouse is taken care of, it will not drive you crazy moving all over the place. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users