Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The iphone could not be synced because the connection was reset

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

I have a client with a iphone 6S plus that backs up using itunes on a windows 7 desktop.

For some reason, when he backups to his computer, not only does it take a long time (15-20 minutes sometimes) but he would randomly get the error:

"The iphone could not be synced because the connection was reset" when the backup is finished.

I have so far tried the following:

- Uninstall and reinstall itunes (latest version).

- delete backup folder.

- Replace sync cable with a new one.

- Changed USB ports.

- Uninstall and reinstall drivers (for the iphone under device manager).

- delete the lockdown folder.

All this doesn't seem to work as it keeps doing the same thing where this error would randomly popup. Any ideas what else I should try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

Have you tried rebooting (i.e. power down, wait about 10 seconds, and power back up) the iPhone? I ask because I have times where I have gotten a similar error message and the iPhone won't, but then will sync after the reboot.

#3 MasterNe0

MasterNe0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:57 PM

Yes, tried that first before i attempted all the other options.

It strange because sometimes he doesn't even get the popup. I am just not sure if maybe the popup suppress because I noticed their a ! point next to the iphone icon in itunes showing the same error. However sometimes if I restart itunes, it showed it backed up but not sure how reiable the backups are. Icloud seems fine when he does it.

I just can't think of anything else to try besides using his laptop or another machine to back it up to.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:37 AM

You likely already did this, but when you tried different USB ports, did that include switching from front mounted USB ports on the desktop to back mounted USB ports (i.e. potentially getting a different USB bus)?

Beyond that and what I already suggested, I am likely out of ideas as well other than try a different computer.

As to checking how reliable the backups are, the only way that I can think to definitively check that is to wipe the iPhone and restore from a backup. Of course, if the backup is not complete, then you are left with hoping there is nothing wrong with the iCloud backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users