Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA Hard Drive produces Windows startup crash every time

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 braincramp2

braincramp2

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

This is a strange problem.

In a nutshell, I get a “Bad Pool Header” error message when booting into Windows 10 when I have an internal hard drive connected to a SATA connection. Subsequent reboots after Windows tries its automatic repair and diagnosing may include the additional messages “KMODE exception not handled “and “Page Fault in Non-paged area”

The devil is in the details. This problem also occurred on my previous pc and was one of the reasons I did a major upgrade (CPU, motherboard, 32 GB memory, M.2 SSD system drive, CPU cooler, power supply and case). I did transplant a couple of SSD’s and a 5TB WD Green hard drive, and optical drive. I am running Windows 10 Pro. In my both pc’s I was getting the odd error caused by one of the two EVGA GTX 970 cards so I removed the apparently faulty one.

I don’t think the WD hard drive itself is the problem. It had been running without errors and I tested it in another system without problems. I also tried another good Seagate hard drive in place of it and the same error occurred.

What I have tried -

1.      If I disable the hard drive in the BIOS (or physically disconnect it) my system runs well (once I uninstalled some flakey software from ASUS and Corsair).

2.      I have tried booting into safe mode – the error still occurs.

3.      Tried SFC /scannow – no problems found.

4.      Fastboot is disabled, SATA port 5 with the hard drive is disabled, otherwise BIOS defaults.

The frustrating thing is that there are very few error messages generated and no dump files until I ran Verifier. Windows error reporting service is set to manual. It seems like it might be a driver since the problem still occurs even booting into safe mode.  I tried driver verifier and it produced a crash on the first bootup.

Perfmon doesn’t produce a report, but the zipped file with the results of the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App is attached.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Hi there!

Sorry for the late response. We are overwhelmed.

The one memory dump that Driver Verifier produced blamed asramdisk.sys. an ASUS RamDisk Driver:

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for asramdisk.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for asramdisk.sys
Probably caused by : asramdisk.sys ( asramdisk+2d98 )
Will you please reinstall that driver? Unfortunately, I can't find the download link, as I don't know your computer model.

Thank you! :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 braincramp2

braincramp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hi - thanks for the response - things I have tried so far

1.      Tried using Intel graphics instead of Nvidia card – no luck

2.      Removed a couple of software packages/drivers (including asramdisk) – no luck

3.      Tried Driver verifier again – possible problem with Netlimiter so I uninstalled it

4.      Will try Diver Verifier again and post an updated set of files tomorrow

One of the problems is that when it hangs at Windows startup with the bad pool header it doesn't seem to leave any error messages or dump files. So the only way to get anything is with Driver Verifier and getting out of the cycle of Automatic repair/diagnosing/restart can be difficult at times. I will try again.

One question - should I have the Hard drive connected (which always generates the bad pool header error), when I run Driver Verifier which seems to find driver problems on it's own without the drive being connected.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

I would try to keep the problem hard drive connected. It may or may not make a difference... who knows. BTW, please backup ALL your data. When you're free, I suggest you run Seagate Seatools for Windows and test ALL your drives. Be sure to run the Long test.

Edited by bwv848, 22 February 2017 - 08:12 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 braincramp2

braincramp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

A further update - I am now able to run Driver Verifier without crashing at Windows startup.

So I booted the first time without problems, then I rebooted and went into the Bios settings to enable the hard drive,but got an   IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error on Windows startup.

Rebooted and disabled the drive and Windows started just fine.

I produced another set of files.

So I will continue to run Verifier for the time being. I will remove the hard drive and test it on another computer since I can't access it on this pc.

Thans again for your help

Attached Files

Edited by braincramp2, 22 February 2017 - 08:19 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:48 PM

Still no dumps. :( Please do this:

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir%\LiveKernelReports and hit Enter on your keyboard. If you need to take permission of that folder, please do so.
• Zip up all the files in that directory (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

#7 braincramp2

braincramp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:47 AM

Hi - I ran into problems trying to zip the original files (getting access denied errors) so I copied to my desktop, zipped, and uploaded to my Onedrive  .

Unfortunately there are no dump files from the last week, but maybe some of the early ones might help (Windows was installed Feb. 10).

I hope this can shed some light on this problem.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Unfortunately, we can't tell too much from those dumps. Just one quick question... have you tried using another SATA cable?

#9 braincramp2

braincramp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

I am in the process of swapping and testing drives. Have stopped running Driver verifier after 24 hours without any issues.

Tests with two other drives have been good. Waiting for the drive that was installed to finish it's testing (a few hours to go) and I hope that it too will work.

I will post an update in about 10-12 hours.

Thanks again.

#10 braincramp2

braincramp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hi - I seem to be back to square one.

Yesterday my computer booted with two different hard drives installed at different times (a 1 TB Seagate and 2 TB WD). I ran each through the Seagate disk test that you suggested and both passed. No problems with Windows boot with either one installed. At the same time I tested the drive that has been problematic on another computer using the 5 TB Western Digital long test and it passed.

So this morning I swapped the 5TB WD back into my computer and immediately got the Windows startup error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I then double checked the SATA cables and discovered that the techs who assembled the pc had used SATA port 1 for a regular ssd, when the Motherboard manual has specific instructions to leave that empty as it is used by a M.2 ssd (which I have installed for my system drive). Interesting that throughout the past few weeks the M.2 drive showed as being in SATA Port 1. I switched the regular ssd SATA cable from port 1 to port 2 and the M.2 drive still shows as being in Port 1.

Initially tried the WD hard drive in Port 4. Same Windows startup error. Tried the HD with another cable using Port 3, the same result.

I still run cleanly when I don't have any hard drives enabled. This is exactly the situation that happened on my first computer with different hardware! 

I will continue to try different combinations of drives and ports to see if anything will work.

Thanks.

Edited by braincramp2, 24 February 2017 - 05:22 PM.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the update.

#12 braincramp2

braincramp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

Surprisingly the same WD 5TB drive that causes the issue works just fine when placed in an external drive enclosure and conected via a USB 3 port.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

Sorry, but it's been a month since we've talked. Can you give me an update on the state of your system?

Regards,

bwv848

#14 braincramp2

braincramp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hi - thanks for the follow-up.

I had been very unhappy with the sloppy way that my new components were assembled by a local tech support company so I had another tech re-do all of the cabling and drive setup a few days ago. 

Guess what - everything now works! The cause must have been the cabling, in particular the use of a SATA connector that should have been left without a cable as it is reserved for the SSD M.2 drive.

Thanks for your help with this. At least I know all of my drivers are good!

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users