Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need two new 4TB HDDs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lilium

Lilium

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

Hi and thanks for reading. I'm looking to swap my current storage 2TB for a 4TB and get a second 4TB to mirror it with Raid 1 or Acronis True Image [recommendations on other/better imaging software or raid drivers are welcome]. Suggestions?

Tempus Fugit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

What are you looking to accomplish?  Are you looking for brand recommendations?

RAID 1 will protect you from a drive failure in real time.  Acronis is essentially a backup of the drive.

RAID 1 will not protect you from a virus infection.  A backup might protect you from a virus infection.

Neither solution will protect you if your machine is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

I assume that you're talking about a desktop.

#3 oscarthegrouch

oscarthegrouch

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Kilroy is correct, however my question is does your system have RAID now or are you looking to add it.  

#4 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

If you're looking for a brand recommendation, here's what I'd recommend:

HGST - Best 3.5" drives on the market for reliability

Toshiba - Best 2.5" drives on the market (not sure there's a 4Tb of these yet).  Most of their 3.5" drives are actually rebranded HGST anyway.

WD Black - Nearly as good as HGST but pricier

WD Blue/Green - So/so quality, not much cheaper than HGST and not nearly as reliable

Samsung - If it's an actual Samsung it's around the same quality, maybe slightly better than a WD Blue or Green, but many are actually rebranded Seagates.

Seagate - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Edited by DataMedic, 28 February 2017 - 04:37 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

FWIW:  There are only 3 active manufacturers of hard drives in 2017...whiler there are many more manufacturers of SSDs.  What does that say about the future of hard drives?

Louis

#6 Lilium

Lilium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

What are you looking to accomplish?  Are you looking for brand recommendations?

RAID 1 will protect you from a drive failure in real time.  Acronis is essentially a backup of the drive.

RAID 1 will not protect you from a virus infection.  A backup might protect you from a virus infection.

Neither solution will protect you if your machine is lost, stolen, or destroyed.

I assume that you're talking about a desktop.

giphy.gif

Kilroy is correct, however my question is does your system have RAID now or are you looking to add it.  

I'm thinking of using Acronis True Image to manage the contents of a 1TB and 2TB to one 6TB then add redundancy with a second 6TB via Raid1.

If you're looking for a brand recommendation, here's what I'd recommend:

HGST - Best 3.5" drives on the market for reliability

Toshiba - Best 2.5" drives on the market (not sure there's a 4Tb of these yet).  Most of their 3.5" drives are actually rebranded HGST anyway.

WD Black - Nearly as good as HGST but pricier

WD Blue/Green - So/so quality, not much cheaper than HGST and not nearly as reliable

Samsung - If it's an actual Samsung it's around the same quality, maybe slightly better than a WD Blue or Green, but many are actually rebranded Seagates.

Seagate - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

I remember the days when Seagate was recommended over Western Digital [maybe it was just my circle of folks]. Anyways I was lucky enough to pick up two Western Digital 6TB (Blue).

FWIW:  There are only 3 active manufacturers of hard drives in 2017...whiler there are many more manufacturers of SSDs.  What does that say about the future of hard drives?

Louis

Great things are on the horizon.

Tempus Fugit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users