Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

suggestion for a router with guest network and excellent protection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mark000

mark000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:51 PM

i am sharing a ( netgear dg834g v3) router 
with someone using :{ kali linux , arp poisoning,.ettercap ,wireshark } and such tools.

i want to be protected completely against him 

if i get a better router and put him on guest network and keep my self on the main network 

will i be protected ???

i am on budget kind of so the cheapest the better . but i want something good  

i would prefer netgear, but i am up for all suggestion 
==========
someone suggested this kind of router what do you think ??

MikroTik RB951Ui-2HnD 

what is the best router for me ??

thanks in advance 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

No, Someone using Penetration testing tools (Kali Linux) that know's what they are doing can still hack your network. Giving them free access to a guest network is not going to solve the problem of them hacking your wifi. If the are not supposed to be connecting to your wireless then report them to the authorities. 

If you are only trying to separate yourself from the other person and you have to share your internet connection with them look into WIFI routers that support VLAN's. Again if they know how to use penetration tools, they can still hack your Wifi even if they have their own connection. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 February 2017 - 09:02 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 eth4n

eth4n

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

I support that Mikrotik, if you set it up correctly and update it frequently, I doubt that person has access to unknown vulnerabilities for RouterOS... ;-)

Regards,

Ethan

If I don't reply within 48 hours, feel free to PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users