Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second monitor makes laptop monitor fail; "no signal" from tv

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kpos55

kpos55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

Help! I'm using an HP laptop 2000 219dx, running Win 10 plus update.  Up until about 2 months ago, when I plugged in my HP display, everything worked just fine.  After that, when I plugged the display into the VGA port, my notebook display flickered, and then only showed the far left column of apps on my desktop.  The extra monitor itself showed a "no signal" icon that moved around the screen.

Next I plugged in a new tv to see what would happen, and it also showed a "no signal" icon, but I was able to change the input to "pc" with the remote.

I've spent days on the net trying to find solutions from AMD, HP and other tech sites, but to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and software for HP displays and AMD products, and I still am not able to get either device to work.

There was one instance when I unplugged the HP monitor - to get the regular desktop screen back - and the "printers and devices" area showed the correct HP monitor.  I right clicked on the icon and it showed me its properties, but when I tried to troubleshoot it, the icon went away.

I'm at my wits end trying to get either device to work off this laptop.  If anyone has any suggestions for how to fix this, I'll be forever grateful!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

The best way to connect an external display to a laptop is when the laptop is off and then boot the laptop with the display connected and turned on.

If that doesn't work for you try WINDOWS+P to bring up the display options and see if you can set the displays that way.

You might want to see if there is a BIOS update for your machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users