Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NirSoft Utilites at nirsoft.com. Safe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yertman

yertman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hello,

I first discovered this site and the utilities available there some years ago when I was doing computer repair out of my basement. The first one I remember using extracted saved passwords from dial-up networking accounts. Was very nice to be able to reconfigure dial-up networking on a fresh windows install, without having to ask the customer for a password they would have to hunt for.

Anyhow, the site seems legit, and I have never had an issue after using the software. However the tools are not open source, and something feels off. I think it's just because the guy who writes these is obviously skilled, and he could easily be up to ill works. Many of the tools have network capabilities and obviously could be up to lord knows what.

I would love it if I could find some sort of meaningful endorsement for this man's work, so I could include some of these in my toolbox of things I will run on customer systems.

Anyhow just curious what people's experiences have been and if any one can point me to some references for this dude. :)

Thanks
David

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2017 - 01:54 PM.
Moved from AV/AM to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 17,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

The software on Nirsoft is perfectly safe. Some AV's may flag some software like produkey but they are false positives.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 16,257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

NirSoft tools are legitimate. They are often flagged by security vendors because some of them have been seen being bundled in malware (not by the author of the tools, but the malware author who decided to use them). For instance, Malwarebytes flags some of them (like utilities allowing you to gather passwords from a system) as PUP because they can't know for sure if you use the tool yourself, or if it was dropped on your system by malware.

unite_blue.png
Technical Support, Tier 2 | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | R&D at Certly | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 47,553 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

I have been using various Nirsoft utilities for many years and would not have a problem recommending them. However, as JohnC_21 indicates, some of the tools are falsely detected by anti-virus/anti-malware software as a threat when that is not the case. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "false positive" and can be ignored.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users