Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can encrypting a Hard Drive prevent Ransomware attach

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky4460

Sparky4460

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:07 AM

I was wondering if encrypting your HD with something like Bitlocker would prevent a Ransomware attack on the data on that HD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

I was wondering if encrypting your HD with something like Bitlocker would prevent a Ransomware attack on the data on that HD?

Hi Sparky

I am not an expert on this but I do not see how it can work since to us the drive it has to be accessible to windows and the Ransomware attacks accessible data from withing windows. It might work if You left the drive encrypted, Unless it is designed to work around that in some manner.

I am sure someone more expert will answer in more detail.

Good Luck

Roger

FWIW my approach to data protection is backing it up on external drives that are then disconnected from the computer so that any ransomware can not effect them. I also do a complete system backup and disconnect that too. External portable drives are much more affordable and larger than in the past IMO.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'm with rotor. Your data is un-encrypted when you are using the computer, which is usually when you get infected by ransomware. Take the advice rotor gave and make sure you do regular backups!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

Ransomware does not care about the contents of the data or whether your files or drives are already encrypted...it will just encrypt (reencrypt) them again. This is why some victims have been infected with dual crypto malware infections.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Sparky4460

Sparky4460
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

Thanks to everyone for their response.  I understand all the responses and have done more research.  I have been backing up my data for many years and keep a copy off-site in case of fire.  I am now spending some time trying to understand how NOT to get infected in the first place.  Yes I have my data back-up but if Ransomware got into my network it would take weeks to reformat and reinstall all the computers back to last state applications.  (I also back up the entire computer HD but again I can't depend on that.)

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,391 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:07 PM

Section 2 in How Malware Spreads - How your system gets infected explains the most common methods Crypto malware (file encrypting ransomware) and other forms of ransomware is typically delivered and spread.

See Post #2 in this topic for the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) and a list of prevention tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users