Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strangest "Problem" I've Seen On a PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bamashooter

bamashooter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:10 AM

Hi folks. Feel free to move this to another section. That's how confused I am. I primarily use Kubuntu 14.04 but, as stated, on this one laptop, it does not discriminate between it and Windows 10.

This happens in only one forum of several in which I'm active. I will be on the most current page of a given topic header, for example, General Discussions. I scroll to the end and select Next Page. Several of the threads which were listed on page one are now repeated on page 2, etc. Approximately the last 5-6 threads on page 1 will be the first 5-6 threads on page 2, etc. 

Truth is stranger than fiction: 

One laptop has 2 OSs. Windows 10 / Kubuntu 14.04 

One laptop has Windows 7 only 

With the Windows 7 laptop, the forum is normal no matter the browser. 

With the other laptop, using either Windows 10 or Kubuntu, the partially repetitive page occurs no matter the browser. 

It appears to me to not be OS related but laptop / hardware related.

Bizarre. I shall now go check my potato chips and see if any look like Jesus.

Did a bit more testing in that forum this morning. Like other forums, it has several subject matter areas to include one named General Discussion. That is the only area where this occurs. Out of approximately 12-15 topic areas.

Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hi bamashooter,

I thought I recognised this question:
https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?71484-Craziest-Thing-I-ve-Ever-Seen-w-a-PC

We usually close topics when the same question is being asked elsewhere, because conflicting advice can cause confusion both for the person seeking it and those giving it; but since your topic on the Kubuntu forum remains unanswered, this topic can remain open here.

What is the forum in question?

Edited by Al1000, 17 February 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#3 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

Thanks. Sorry, I forgot that rule. I can go to Kubuntu and kill that thread if need be.  Here's the link to the specific General Discussion page. https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/5_General-Discussion.html

HP15 --f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10 / 64-bit

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the link. I've had a look at it using Firefox on Kubuntu 14.04 and Edge on Windows 10, and don't see anything unusual.

The only thing I can think of is because it's such a busy forum, with several threads being replied to and therefore bumped to the top of the first page every minute, that by the time you look at the first page then change to the second page, half a dozen threads that were not on the first page may have been be bumped to it, rendering the half dozen threads that were at the foot of the first page, to the top of the second page, as you described.

Could it be that perhaps the forum is quieter at the times you use your Windows 7 laptop to browse it? If possible, I suggest using both computers to browse the forum simultaneously, and see if you see the same on them both.

#5 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the link. I've had a look at it using Firefox on Kubuntu 14.04 and Edge on Windows 10, and don't see anything unusual.

The only thing I can think of is because it's such a busy forum, with several threads being replied to and therefore bumped to the top of the first page every minute, that by the time you look at the first page then change to the second page, half a dozen threads that were not on the first page may have been be bumped to it, rendering the half dozen threads that were at the foot of the first page, to the top of the second page, as you described.

Could it be that perhaps the forum is quieter at the times you use your Windows 7 laptop to browse it? If possible, I suggest using both computers to browse the forum simultaneously, and see if you see the same on them both.

Thanks. I accessed the forum at the same time with one laptop using both Kubuntu and Windows 10. Same issue with both OSs. Same time with Windows 7 on other laptop; no problem. I used Chrome and Firefox on 7, Chrome and Edge on 10, and Chrome / Firefox with Kubuntu. Bizarre.

Edited by bamashooter, 17 February 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:17 PM

That is odd, as topics on an internet forum are not browser dependant, but rather are dependant on the website itself. Some forums allow you to choose how many topics you want on a page, but again, whatever settings you use apply to the forum itself, and not your browsers.

If you browse a page on an internet forum, it should have the same topics on it regardless of the browser or computer that you happen to be using.

#7 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

It's very puzzling and aggravating since it happens with Kubuntu, my favored OS.. Thanks for your help.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

You're welcome. I have no idea why you are experiencing this phenomenon, but I don't see it as a sign of anything being wrong with your computers.

#9 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

Better lucky than good. Divine intervention? Moments ago I performed the following:

Logged out of forum

Within Chrome I removed cookies specific to forum

I had done the above before.

In addition I deleted the bookmark

Via Google I accessed the forum

Hard to explain this next part.

When I accessed the forum via Google, it went to the most general page that so many forums have

Viewing the address bar, the string included /forums/xxx/whatever

I backspaced to /forums and hit return

It brought me to Discussion Forums which is a listing of all topic areas

I have never seen that page before. Normally there's a button near the top titled Discussion Forums. Hovering over that provides a list of all topic areas to include one named General, which is "parent" to my problematic topic area / sub-folder named General Discussions. You then select the desired topic and march on.

Anyhow, no longer needing to hover and select, I merely scrolled down to and selected General Discussions. I can now scroll to bottom of page, select "Next Page" and there are no more repeats. I have no idea if deleting the bookmark "fixed" it or more likely, my newly discovered Discussion Forums page "fixed" it. :bounce:

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:59 AM

Pleased to hear it's now working as expected. :)

#11 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

Incredible. Yesterday I was looking for a simple graphics app to use in Kubuntu due to its basic app KolourPaint not doing what I needed. I downloaded 3-4 apps and one would have been like relearning PhotoShop. The others not having the needed feature. I installed/uninstalled them using Muon Pkg Manager. After that my problem came back, as did an older problem (audio).  I I tried to correct the audio issue with what had worked before. No go.  In the interest of fairness, yesterday or the day before I installed one of those updates pushed to the user. It was the type of update where it first "asks" to remove other data before the updates can be installed. However, I was functioning fine until the assorted graphics apps fiasco.I'm tiring (can't believe I'm saying this) of Kubuntu / Linux. I want it to be my friend but it's not reciprocating.  :smash:

#12 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:24 PM

Today I'm running in Windows 10. Audio is good but my OP problem persists. Craziest thing I've ever seen. Shall try the above "remedy" once more.

#13 bamashooter

bamashooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

Remedy didn't work. Chrome in Windows 10 is acting crazy. I now must enter my Windows login when trying to view my saved passwords. Using Chrome in Linux does not initiate that requirement. Using Edge, I couldn't login to the forum in question. I kept getting an error msg with "wrong login". That was when I discovered the saved passwords deal in Chrome. Logic tells me it's the website yet no one else seems to be having an issue with it and as stated before, it works fine on my Windows 7 laptop and my XP laptop. I ran outside, looked up and observed no alien spacecraft. Maybe if I can find an OS named Lindows or Windux I'll be in business.

Edited by bamashooter, 26 February 2017 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users