Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to the internet with my desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WHSKY8

WHSKY8

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:17 AM

Hello, I am hoping someone here can help me with an issue I have with my PC.

BLUF: I cannot connect to the internet

System: Dell XPS 630i desktop computer running Windows Vista Ultimate (32-Bit) SP2.

Processor is Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3,00GHZ.

Graphics Card is NVidia GeForce9800GT

Up and until 3 Feb, I was able to access the internet through my Ethernet cable regardless of the browser that I used. Next day I was not able to access it. Does not matter what browser I use, I still wasn't able to log on to any website. I wasn't doing anything unusual that I can remember. I didn't upload any new software or anything like that. Weird part is the other desktop I have is connected to the internet through Ethernet is able to connect to the internet and my other devices can access the internet via Wi-Fi.

I have done the following troubleshooting: Turned off my computer, Unplugged my router (Verizon Fios), unplugged my Ethernet cable, switched out the cable, shut down the computer, and still no internet. Opened the network and sharing window, it has the following: My computer connected to Unidentified network then a red X then the internet globe. When I click on the red X to diagnose the issue I have done the following: Clicked automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter "Local Area Connection" to repair the connection. the results -> Windows tried the following repair, automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter "Local Area Connection", but did not fix the problem. Clicked on Reset the network adapter "Local Area Connection", the results -> Windows tried a repair but a problem still exists, This computer has limited or no connectivity.

I ran ipconfig /all thru administrator command prompt I got the following:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Keith C>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : keithgamingcomp

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-E8-32-46-C0

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::751c:e64c:6ae8:717%10(Preferred)

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address.. : 169.254.7.23(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.(1269E31B-2339-492F-B470-946FD9A07CBD

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\Keith C

Any help is very much appreciated and needed as I am in need of guidance here so I don't mess things up.

Thanks!

Respectfully

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 16,847 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

This indicates your Networking Controller is part of your chipset driver. Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to the Network Adapter in Device Manager?

#3 WHSKY8

WHSKY8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

No, I checked in the device manager and there is no exclamation mark of any color. I clicked into the NVIDA nForce Networking Controller and in the General tab it says "This device is working properly".

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 16,847 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

Open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box, Right Click and run as Administrator.

Type the following commands

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot

If resetting winsock and tcp/ip does not work then on another computer download Windows Repair and only check the box next to Network Repair. Reboot after the repair.

If Network Repair does not fix internet on another computer download fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD. Boot to the desktop and click on the Web Browser icon. Can you connect to the internet? If you do not have a spare CD/DVD I can give instructions on creating a bootable USB flash drive if the computer supports booting from USB.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

#5 WHSKY8

WHSKY8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

Open an elevated command prompt. CMD in the search box, Right Click and run as Administrator.

Type the following commands

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot

If resetting winsock and tcp/ip does not work then on another computer download Windows Repair and only check the box next to Network Repair. Reboot after the repair.

If Network Repair does not fix internet on another computer download fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD. Boot to the desktop and click on the Web Browser icon. Can you connect to the internet? If you do not have a spare CD/DVD I can give instructions on creating a bootable USB flash drive if the computer supports booting from USB.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

YES! PROBLEM SOLVED!

OK, so I did the Winsock reset and reboot, nothing happen, then proceeded to download the Windows Repair and install it on the problem computer. After it was installed I opened up Windows Repair and looked at Step 1, which was to do a proper power reset. After doing a proper power reset and powering the computer back up afterwards, I now have a connection to the internet.

I don't know if the Windows Repair did anything to the computer itself but, it made me remember the basics that I had long forgot, that residual power and volatile memory is still in the computer if it is not unplugged and sometime a hard reset includes removing the power source. That definitely did the trick and reset whatever was off.

JohnC_21 You got me back up and surfing. Much appreciation,

Thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 16,847 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

No problem, I will take any solution. Glad the problem is solved and thanks for the update. Happy surfing.

I will have to remember that doing a powercycle (hard reset) can resolve Ethernet connectivity. Thanks.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 February 2017 - 02:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users