Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible that I have been hacked? Strange case.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

That's a big writeup.

I won't obfuscate my intentions in large orations, or attempt to change the subject or context of the conversation.

I do not see a logical reason to scan an OS with NPE as a routine procedure.

Please refer to my post #9

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feeeed me Seymour...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

That's a big writeup.

I won't obfuscate my intentions in large orations, or attempt to change the subject or context of the conversation.

Neither would I, refer to my post #11. I still don't see you mentioning a flaw in any of the points I've made in my previous post.

Your very clearly assuming here everyone online knows about every way someone can get infected, thus they would also prevent that from happening in the first place, which is obviously not true, people do get infected all the time, sometimes, even with an antivirus. A scan with NPE once a month would provide them additional security, especially those who are using the free solutions with not so good detection ratios. I hope this is a logical reason good enough for general users.

#18 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Defenestraphobic

• 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

Hi Frumious

May I suggest you read this Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help and follow the instructions so somebody can look over your logs.

Nick.

Linux - Ubuntu  16.04 LTS 64bit. Linux user 567701
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines link  
Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix
How to detect vulnerable programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector <- Everyone should do this!
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet <- Everyone must read this!
How to Protect and Harden a Computer against Ransomware <- Everyone must read this!

Power User: A person who has mastered the brightness and contrast controls
on any computer monitor

#19 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

That's a big writeup.

Neither would I, refer to my post #11. I still don't see you mentioning a flaw in any of the points I've made in my previous post.

I explained it quite clearly in post #14.

Your very clearly assuming here everyone online knows about every way someone can get infected, thus they would also prevent that from happening in the first place, which is obviously not true, people do get infected all the time, sometimes, even with an antivirus. A scan with NPE once a month would provide them additional security, especially those who are using the free solutions with not so good detection ratios. I hope this is a logical reason good enough for general users.

This is one of the reasons bleepingcomputer exists. To better inform people about how they can effectively protect themselves from malware. Advising to scan with a particular tool, just because we happen to like that particular tool is not sound advice. We can just as easily counsel people to run

• MBAM
  • ESET
  • RogueKiller
  • JRT
  • MBAR
  • Hitman
  • Sophos
  • choose any one of 100+ scanning tools.

monthly as a routine scan...

Or we can choose to better inform them of their risks and and effective ways to protect themselves.

I totally understand you're coming from the best place intentionally. I just don't agree with the "people are stupid, so they better run this tool" approach. Generally people are stupid (and I don't disinclude myself here) but we have an amazing ability to learn with good counsel also. It all comes down to the counsel we can provide to our peers.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feeeed me Seymour...

#20 Frumious

Frumious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted Yesterday, 12:51 AM

TsVk!, I hear your arguments. Thanks. Though I kinda feel like I'm being talked around like I'm not "in the room." I came here as a novice looking for information so I'm cool with collecting multiple points of view, including suggestions for products from anyone knowledgeable who uses them. Frankly, I'm equally grateful for information on both products AND risks/protection, concise answers AND longer, more narrative stuff that I can pick up additional info from. Between the two of you I feel well covered. Takes all kinds.

Downloaderfan, thank you for taking the time to give me so much information. I checked out Bitdefender (and compared it to others) and I like what I see. I'd heard of it before but had tried free options first since, well, they're free. It's not that I'm not willing to spend money on security (especially right now) but I've had a couple of experiences where I made a monetary investment in software and ended up hating it for one reason or another. Speaking of loathesome software, as you mentioned I downloaded Malwarebytes. It wrought havoc on my machine. Fought with everything, slowed everything down, and even crippled my mouse which I need for some things I do for work. Their tech support was very patient and helpful but in the end I just uninstalled it. Does not play well with others!

I'll do a little more reading on Bitdefender but I'll probably get it. It does a lot more than any one thing I have now.

About my new interest in keyloggers, I had heard of them but never really thought of the potential damage that can be done with them. This is really been interesting. It's also interesting to hear about the testing you did. I would think it could be fun comparing what's out there in your own "lab." I'm obviously not much of a tech person but I do find this stuff fascinating.

Hi Frumious

May I suggest you read this Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help and follow the instructions so somebody can look over your logs.

Nick.

Hey, Nick! Thanks for pointing me to this. That ship has sailed, unfortunately, but I appreciate the info and will know for next time (please no!) how to do better. I bet a lot of people come here after they've already taken some sort of action, for better or worse. For me it was: Panic. Search. Download. Run. Breathe. Rethink. Obsess. Go Ask People Stuff. Not the smartest course of action but mental sirens were blaring. It's the quieter post-crisis neurosis that finally brought me here. 

Feeling a bit wiser (and calmer) now. :)

#21 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 12:51 AM

At this point, I can clearly see that you're repeating your same old points which I have already countered in an attempt to continue this argument because your ego can't let go of it. Anyway, I'll just reiterate in short again. I stand strong by my opinion and I don't see any valid counter points.

This is one of the reasons bleepingcomputer exists. To better inform people about how they can effectively protect themselves from malware. Advising to scan with a particular tool, just because we happen to like that particular tool is not sound advice. We can just as easily counsel people to run

• MBAM
  • ESET
  • RogueKiller
  • JRT
  • MBAR
  • Hitman
  • Sophos
  • choose any one of 100+ scanning tools.

monthly as a routine scan...

I am not randomly recommending a scan from a random scanning tool, from my post #15

I need you to understand that my recommendations are not some generic reply off from a quick 5 minute google search, but after 3 days of multiple hours And only then I concluded that norton power eraser was sufficiently quick and powerful enough to detect 'remote tracking' activity.    

Due to it's quick scanning ability and being relatively powerful, this is what I would recommend to anyone as a first step if they feel they are infected to reassure themselves. Just calling it 'not sound advice' isn't convincing by any means btw. Some of the good anti virus engines (including norton's) have been built over 15 or even more years of research, development and definitions. And you're saying using one of these if someone feels infected is not sound advice? You need know more about security than even the best security solution in today's time for that to be a valid point. 

Or we can choose to better inform them of their risks and and effective ways to protect themselves.

I totally understand you're coming from the best place intentionally. I just don't agree with the "people are stupid, so they better run this tool" approach. Generally people are stupid (and I don't disinclude myself here) but we have an amazing ability to learn with good counsel also. It all comes down to the counsel we can provide to our peers.

Bleepingcomputer is a great place for people to learn to how 'prevent' from getting infected. I agree there, but if one gets infected, how is it a sound advice to not do a scan whatsoever and just rely on bleepingcomputer personnel when a scan could have been an been in many cases an easy fix?

Your counselling of 'not doing anything' when we have so many tools in today's time is never a good advice. That doesn't mean I'm telling everyone to do a scan with 10 tools either, which you're using over and over again as a excuse to continue this argument. I have reiterated about this enough number of times, yet you seem to just want to continue arguing without making any valid points.

It's easy to not be paranoid when you're just on your own personal wifi with maybe a couple family members. But if you're living in a dorm with IT and computer guys and sharing your wifi with them, you immediately are now open for 10 additional ways to get hacked. They might look secretly look at your keyboard with you typing your password, then secretly install a keylogger when we're not around. It's not possible to avoid that 100% if they are set to get your password. You can't just tell yourself not to be paranoid, just like you can't tell yourself not to be jealous or be humbled. It's more dependent on the scenario a person is living in. And some scenarios leave you more vulnerable than others. It's tools like these I've used when I feel paranoid about this to reassure myself. And so can everyone else, with my advice, instead of not doing anything.

Edited by downloaderfan, Yesterday, 02:47 AM.

#22 Frumious

Frumious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted Yesterday, 12:53 AM

Yes

Thanks, but wanna be a little more specific? 

#23 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 01:07 AM

Downloaderfan, thank you for taking the time to give me so much information. I checked out Bitdefender (and compared it to others) and I like what I see. I'd heard of it before but had tried free options first since, well, they're free. It's not that I'm not willing to spend money on security (especially right now) but I've had a couple of experiences where I made a monetary investment in software and ended up hating it for one reason or another.

I totally understand where your coming from. I have had similar experiences with kaspersky in the past. Once there was this time when a kaspersky update blocked the data compression proxy which opera uses, making all pages to not load with an error. There was this other time when after windows 10 anniversary update, kaspersky blocked my touch screen from working when inside chrome. I've also had similar issues with norton when I used to use it some 5 years ago. Sometimes, you can find the solution with a quick google search, other times you just have to wait for the anti virus companies to fix the issues. Momentarily, it makes to want to switch to another service, but I understand that bugs like these happen occasionally with every anti virus engines out there and there is no 100% method to avoid that. With that i mind, I just continue using kaspersky hoping for the best, for now since it will be a while before my subscription ends. 

Edited by downloaderfan, Yesterday, 01:10 AM.

#24 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Defenestraphobic

• 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted Yesterday, 01:21 AM

This thread has gone off topic, Remember this is about helping the OP her problems.

Linux - Ubuntu  16.04 LTS 64bit. Linux user 567701
Bleeping Computer Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines link  
Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix
How to detect vulnerable programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector <- Everyone should do this!
Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet <- Everyone must read this!
How to Protect and Harden a Computer against Ransomware <- Everyone must read this!

Power User: A person who has mastered the brightness and contrast controls
on any computer monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users