Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible that I have been hacked? Strange case.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Frumious

Frumious

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:44 PM

Hello, Community. I have a strange case of possible hacking to ask you about.

There is a guy (at least I think it's a guy) who is harassing me on Instagram. I have never encountered him anywhere else. Some of his harassment of me takes place on his own pages (he has more than one). I do not "Follow" his account so I'm not on his list.  

These are the ONLY things I've done at all having to do with him. All were done on my Windows 8.1 PC, not my phone. I am in fact logged into my account when I view his pages.

• I have bookmarked his pages on my browser to check them easily.
  • I have taken screenshots of posts he has made with the windows snipping tool.
  • I downloaded one video he posted to IG (not a link, a regular IG video post) with a Google browser extension. AVG and Malwarebytes scans of the download came up clean.

I could just be seriously paranoid but he suddenly seems to be able to tell when I'm looking at his page and what else I'm doing on my computer at the time. I say this because four times now he has done or said things on his page while I am on that seem SO coincidental and relatively specific that it is terrifying.

Is it possible that this guy could have hacked my computer if this is truly ALL I have done on his pages? I have not received any suspicious emails with links or anything like that. I only open emails from people I know.

Thank you for your answers. I'm sorry I'm such a novice!

Edited by Frumious, 16 February 2017 - 08:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

I see no vectors or routes of infection in what you have described.

All coincidence.

#3 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Couple of online tools do exist which allow you to see who's viewed your instagram profile, although I can't comment on their authenticity since I haven't personally used them. A quick google search does bring up a bunch of tools which seem 'legit'. At worst, you could be infected by a keylogger. Since I tested some keylogger and anti-keylogger software programs just recently, I can say...MalwareBytes does not protect you from keyloggers.

Norton power eraser performed the best when it came to detecting keyloggers. It's free, only 3 mb in size, doesn't require installation and does the job(at least on my PC) within 15 minutes. Just launch it and hit 'Scan for risks'. If it comes out clean, then you're most probably not infected by a keylogger.

#4 Frumious

Frumious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

Thanks TsVk!. I appreciate your response. I am open to the possibility that I am just paranoid. That tends to happen when a person is being harassed by a stranger, I guess.

Downloaderfan, what can a keylogger do? Would someone who infected me with a keylogger be able to tell what I'm writing or doing?

#5 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:24 PM

Yup, some of the most powerful keyloggers can literally send everything you do to a remote person. By everything I mean passwords which you have saved in chrome/firefox, every url you visit, every window you open, every keystroke, every clipboard content etc. My fear of a typical virus that would cause my system to crash/not respond is almost zero since antivirus software solutions these days are pretty good at detecting them. But when it comes to keyloggers, that's not always the case. 

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

A keylogger would require a system hook on your machine, in one way or another. This is not just temporary internet files.

Picture it like this.... Your machine is an entity. I can write on screen...

WE ARE RECORDING AND MONITORING EVERYTHING YOU DO.

That doesn't make that real.

Unless you installed a software installer from that person, it's all just conjecture.

Edited by TsVk!, 16 February 2017 - 11:54 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

PS: You must install software that compromises your machine. They cannot just come and get you. (unless you haven't secured your router, and even then it's just happenstance... you won't be targeted,)

Edited by TsVk!, 16 February 2017 - 11:59 PM.

#8 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:12 AM

PS: You must install software that compromises your machine. They cannot just come and get you. (unless you haven't secured your router, and even then it's just happenstance... you won't be targeted,)

Indeed, from the scenario she mentioned, I agree it's very unlikely she has a keylogger on her PC. I just mentioned keylogger and a norton power eraser scan because it's always better than not doing anything when you have doubts that you are being tracked and also because of how quick it is. Infact, I believe everyone should perform a norton power eraser scan once a month just because of the potential that keyloggers have to damage our online lives.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:16 AM

Indeed, from the scenario she mentioned, I agree it's very unlikely she has a keylogger on her PC. I just mentioned keylogger and a norton power eraser scan because it's always better than not doing anything when you have doubts that you are being tracked and also because of how quick it is. Infact, I believe everyone should perform a norton power eraser scan once a month just because of the potential that keyloggers have to damage our online lives.

Explain the vector and the reason, rather than paranoia, and I will agree with you.

#10 Frumious

Frumious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:35 AM

You guys are awesome. 

I ran the Norton scan and everything came up clean. You think that software is accurate enough? I definitely didn't download or install anything from him unless the Instagram video I downloaded was somehow infected. It was just a regular video post. Instagram told me it can't happen but they *would* say that.

The worst part of this is being under fire online and not at all tech savvy. I'm grateful you're here to help people fill in the gaps.  

#11 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:39 AM

Explain the vector and the reason, rather than paranoia, and I will agree with you.

Good lord, it seems you just want to argue with me for no apparent reason. I don't know how I can express my opinions in a clearer manner when I have clearly said that I agree with your opinions and it's unlikely that she is infected in my previous post. What's wrong with me recommending a 15 minute norton power eraser scan just to be safe even if someone is paranoid? Too much time? Should people 'who think they know about security' uninstall all anti-virus software and never run a scan on their PC just because they know every way they can get infected and thus also know how to prevent them without any security solution? That's what I'm getting since you have a problem with me recommending a scan. 

#12 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

You guys are awesome. 

I ran the Norton scan and everything came up clean. You think that software is accurate enough? I definitely didn't download or install anything from him unless the Instagram video I downloaded was somehow infected. It was just a regular video post. Instagram told me it can't happen but they *would* say that.

The worst part of this is being under fire online and not at all tech savvy. I'm grateful you're here to help people fill in the gaps.  

Norton power eraser performed the best in detecting keyloggers compared to the many other solutions I tested like spybot, hitman etc. Not perfect by any means though, nothing is.

Coincidence or some online tool which tracks profile views, in both cases, none of them are serious enough to cause loss of data/money. You should be fine. :)

#13 Frumious

Frumious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

You guys are awesome. 

Norton power eraser performed the best in detecting keyloggers compared to the many other solutions I tested like spybot, hitman etc. Not perfect by any means though, nothing is.

Coincidence or some online tool which tracks profile views, in both cases, none of them are serious enough to cause loss of data/money. You should be fine. :)

Thanks! You have me thinking about this keylogger thing, though. Is there some kind of software that would prevent keyloggers from knowing what a person types? I did a Hitman Pro trial once and noticed some sort of encryption action happening when I was online, but not when I am creating documents in Word, etc. Is there something that can do that? Not that I ever do anything nefarious but now that I know what keyloggers are and what they can do I would like to be protected just in case. I swear I'll wrap this up soon. I'm really enjoying taking in all this new knowledge. I'm sorry I started a spat with my question!

Edit: And is there something that can do this on a Mac as well?

Edited by Frumious, 17 February 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:46 AM

Good lord, it seems you just want to argue with me for no apparent reason. I don't know how I can express my opinions in a clearer manner when I have clearly said that I agree with your opinions and it's unlikely that she is infected in my previous post. What's wrong with me recommending a 15 minute norton power eraser scan just to be safe even if someone is paranoid? Too much time? Should people 'who think they know about security' uninstall all anti-virus software and never run a scan on their PC just because they know every way they can get infected and thus also know how to prevent them without any security solution? That's what I'm getting since you have a problem with me recommending a scan. 

My reasoning is this.

We may as well counsel her to scan for

• poweliks
  • zeus
  • virut
  • choose your infection to randomly scan for.
  • just keep scanning with tools we like because we can.

#15 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Thanks! You have me thinking about this keylogger thing, though. Is there some kind of software that would prevent keyloggers from knowing what a person types? I did a Hitman Pro trial once and noticed some sort of encryption action happening when I was online, but not when I am creating documents in Word, etc. Is there something that can do that? Not that I ever do anything nefarious but now that I know what keyloggers are and what they can do I would like to be protected just in case. I swear I'll wrap this up soon. I'm really enjoying taking in all this new knowledge. I'm sorry I started a spat with my question!

Edit: And is there something that can do this on a Mac as well?

Reputed, top level anti virus solutions like kaspersky and bitdefender are really good at detecting keyloggers. Avoid the free ones because the only way they sustain themselves is by selling your personal data and are generally not as good as kaspersky/bitdefender when it comes to the detection ratio. I tested kaspersky and bitdefender against keyloggers, both of them detected the 3 keyloggers I had but the thing that scared me was that... I've been using kaspersky internet security for 4 years and it failed to remove one of those keyloggers even though it detected it. One keylogger was still functioning fine even though I disinfected it with kaspersky and rebooted my PC. As far as the detection ratio goes, I agree with all the online reports out there, nothing beats bitdefender... It has been on top for almost 5 years now. You should go with bitdefender if you want the best anti virus security.

Other than that, there are programs which encrypt your keystrokes as you've mentioned. Kaspersky does that too, when you input on a password field. A secure input notice pops up letting you know that your keystrokes are being protected. If you search for best anti keylogger program, the name that you'll end up with is..Spyshelter premium. Although it is marketed as an anti keylogger, it's not actually an anti keylogger in the sense that it doesn't detect the presence of a keylogger. It's more of UAC on steroids. If any program wants to access your camera/microphone, record keyboard input/clipboard, Spyshelter will pop-up a dialog box asking if you want to allow that program to do that. When I installed it on my PC, i saw a bunch of system programs and user programs alike asking me all kinds of permissions. i tried to deny all of them but it led to chrome absolutely refusing to launch. So you can't deny all permissions just like that. The problem with this system is that some keyloggers are really good as masquerading themselves as system processes, so when that keylogger will ask the permission to record input, the user will unknowingly allow it. If you want added protection, you can install spyshelter premium along with the anti virus when windows is in a 'clean' state, open up programs which you regularly use and allow all permissions which they ask. So let's say, a month later if you get infected by a keylogger, you will see an unknown program ask an additional permission out of no where, thus you would know that it's a keylogger. I'm glad you're curious about keyloggers just like I was 2 weeks ago, I'm more than happy to share my knowledge. :)

My reasoning is this.

We may as well counsel her to scan for

• poweliks
  • zeus
  • virut
  • choose your infection to randomly scan for.
  • just keep scanning with tools we like because we can.

Your point is invalid because we don't need 10 different programs to scan for 10 different kinds of infections. One good antivirus program can take care of all of them.  Some two weeks ago I was in the same scenario as Op (being paranoid about keyloggers) and when I searched for anti keylogging solutions...One name came up everywhere..MalwareBytes. Not just bleepingcomputer, I saw it's name on almost every security forum that came up in the search results. Even the op performed a malwarebytes scan because it's that popular. So I decided to install 3 different keyloggers on a virtual machine and did a malwarebytes scan. Nope, none of them were detected. Most people obviously read stuff on the internet and believe them without testing it even though they are perfectly capable of doing that. I understand that, thus I performed a test of my own and concluded that norton power eraser was sufficiently quick and powerful enough to detect 'remote tracking' activity. Now I try to share that info here to help others so that they don't have to go through the same testing process, but it seems somebody has a problem with that for 'whatever reasons'. I need you to understand that my recommendations are not some generic reply off from a quick 5 minute google search, but after 3 days of multiple hours testing. I've joined this forum just recently and won't be as regular as you are...if you are going to tell every future person who comes to this forum looking for help to not do anything based on a one week scenario they explain in this forum without knowing what the user might have done 1,2,3 months ago or if he/she has given access of his/her laptop long while ago to a friend/family...I can only hope they don't end up with serious loss of privacy/data. Peace. 

Edited by downloaderfan, 17 February 2017 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users