Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got the blue screen and pc crashed but will not come back on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pebbles45112000

pebbles45112000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:36 PM

My pc is a HP envy 17 notebook with windows 8. Yesterday I got a blue screen with DPC watchdog violation error message. After that my pc crashed and would not boot back up.

I tried taking the battery out and holding down the power key to reset the pc but still didn't work. Screen stays completely black but the power button, caps and wi fi button lights up.

Couple of months ago I put the trial for AVG on my pc but never upgraded. I read somewhere that sometimes this screen comes up if you don't upgrade. Any ideas of what could be going on or how to fix it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ant_Teh_Nee

Ant_Teh_Nee

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

One thing to do in the meantime, you can try to charge it. Keep it on the plug until it says it is full. Then, boot it up. If it doesn't go into Windows, don't worry. Keep it on until the battery dies.

If it boots, do this.

"DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION is very common if you have a Solid State Drive (SSD) in Windows 8. Many SSDs can’t handle Windows 8 correctly until you update the firmware on the drive. Firmware means memory and code on the device itself that controls it. The newer the firmware, the more likely it is to handle something new. (For example, if you own a Blu-Ray player, odds are you’ve updated it at least once through the Internet. That’s firmware.)

To update the firmware of your SSD, you first need to retrieve the model number.

1. Press Windows Key + X to bring up the Power User menu
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System when viewing by Small Icons
  4. Click Device Manager
  5. Click the arrow next to Disk Drives
  6. Record the model number and Google it along with the word “firmware”"

Also, take a look at this and see if anything here is helpful.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/64971-dpc-watchdog-violation-laptop-wont-boot-up-2.html?s=d0634edd06269f110311f36c6415091b

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

AVG may nag you to upgrade to their paid version, but this shouldn't produce the effects you are describing.

When you press the power button do any of the LEDs light up or fans spin?

If you do see the LEDs or hear the fans running try using an external monitor to see if this is the problem.

Can you boot into the BIOS?

According to the specifications for this computer it came with Window 7, so I'm guessing that you either purchased a upgrade disk and product code, or purchased a retail copy of Windows 8 and installed it over the Windows 7 installation?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users