Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome on any version of Puppy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dishdude1

dishdude1

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:11 PM

I've used Tahrpup 6.0.5 in the past with good results. Would it be possible to install full Chrome on this version of Puppy or is there another that might be a better fit?

The machine is a Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 with an Intel Atom N450 processor and 1 GB of RAM. 

If I am better off just sticking to Pale Moon I can, but I really do like Chrome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 10,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

See the info at Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - SlimJet 64-bit & 32-bit SFS packages

It's possible you will like SlimJet over Chrome. I do have it installed in Ubuntu and rarely use it. Mostly for videos

that can't be viewed on my Firefox.

Fastest web browser that blocks all ads and protects your privacy - Slimjet

Netflix may not be available for SlimJet. For comments on that and bit more see this earlier topic:

Slimjet....Go Through Settings...Button It Up - Linux & Unix

Edited by buddy215, 16 February 2017 - 08:04 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

I prefer Chrome for the Hangouts extension, I use that a lot. 

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

Hi, dishdude.

Well, 32-bit Chrome stopped back at version 48.....although it still works perfectly well with Pup.

Buddy's right about SlimJet; NetFlix won't work with it, though as far as I know Hangouts will. There's also SRWare's Iron browser, which is almost identical to Chrome.....everything works with this.

Buddy's first link is my thread on the Puppy Forum; have a read-up about it.

I think you'll like SlimJet. The appearance is a wee bit different; tabs, mainly.....more like pre-'Australis' FireFox. I use all three of the above, mostly because I package the latter two for the Puppy community, and Chrome itself because I've used it from day 1, back in 2008.

You can get latest releases of both of the latter builds from my MediaFire a/c; perfectly safe, I assure you.

SlimJet

Iron

If you want Chrome itself, you're stuck with the older version (48.0.2564.116), I'm afraid. This can be found at OscarTalks' 'Smokey' repo, here:-

Pet package , or

SFS package

All of the above work with your Google a/c; just sign in as normal. All your extensions, etc, will work, too.....because they're associated with the a/c, not the browser.

Any problems, give me a shout. I'll be knocking around somewhere under foot..!

Mike.  :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- Actually, scratch Iron if you want to use Hangouts. Chromium (which Iron is based on.....and indeed, Chrome itself) have done something to the coding  from version 56 onwards, which won't allow the browser to work with any Google stuff. I think it's got something to do with certificates; Google were talking on their blog the other week about wanting to set themselves up as their own server certificate authority.....and I believe this could be the first signs of this taking place, I'm afraid.

It's only the 32-bit versions that have got this problem; 64-bit Chrome/Chromium (and derivatives) all work as normal.....because Google really want everybody using the 64-bit version. 

Doesn't help if your hardware is 32-bit, though.....does it?

Mike.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 February 2017 - 09:00 AM.

You can only be certain of three things in this life; Birth...Death......and TAXES!!!

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB external USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card, and external powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub (they ALL get used!)

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 64GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

pUPl7Xz.gif

#5 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hi Mike!

Thanks for all the help, I can't believe how much knowledge you have.

This actually is a 64-bit machine. I first tried my go to distro which is Linux Mint Mate 18.1, and it wouldn't finish booting into the live CD for some reason. I then tried my next favorite, Xubuntu, and it installed, but when I went to reboot the machine I had encrypted the drive and it wouldn't mount.

Moved on to my next choice, Tahrpup 6.0.5. Install was a breeze and it works great. Amazing how this distro always installs without any issue on any old hardware and always works well. Now I just need to figure out if I can install Chrome on it. :)

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Hi Mike!

Thanks for all the help, I can't believe how much knowledge you have.

This actually is a 64-bit machine. I first tried my go to distro which is Linux Mint Mate 18.1, and it wouldn't finish booting into the live CD for some reason. I then tried my next favorite, Xubuntu, and it installed, but when I went to reboot the machine I had encrypted the drive and it wouldn't mount.

Moved on to my next choice, Tahrpup 6.0.5. Install was a breeze and it works great. Amazing how this distro always installs without any issue on any old hardware and always works well. Now I just need to figure out if I can install Chrome on it. :)

Whoa,  steady on there, hoss! You'll give me a case of 'swell-head', praising me up like that. Seriously, I bumble around with this stuff, and frequently amaze myself when everything actually does what it's supposed to.....  :rolleyes:

Well, if you've got a 64-bit machine.....and you don't mind giving a second Puppy a try.....why don't you give the 64-bit version of Tahrpup a go? I run both, as you can see from my sig. Phil Broughton's put even more effort into making Tahr64 just 'work' than he did the original.....and he made a darn good job of that one!

That way, you can get the brand-new, up-to-date versions of 64-bit Chrome. I re-package those, too; I'm currently 'beta-testing' with Chrome 57. I'm posting from it now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you familiar with the SFS 'load-on-the-fly' procedure, or are you more used to the .pet packages? Oscar's Chrome packages are in both formats; it's just that the SFS packages can be 'unloaded' when you don't want them.....and they don't take up space in Tahr's 'save-folder'. They sit at /mnt/home, instead, and load in from there.

It's standard practice in Pup to do this with large progs/apps.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 February 2017 - 03:00 PM.

You can only be certain of three things in this life; Birth...Death......and TAXES!!!

Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB external USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card, and external powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub (they ALL get used!)

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 64GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

pUPl7Xz.gif

#7 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:15 PM

Running Tahrpup64!

If I click on "Quickpet" Chrome is a choice under browsers but it just takes me to the tahrpup64 jumping-off page. 

I can't find Chrome in the PPM.

I've never needed to install anything on a Puppy machine, I just used them to browse with Pale Moon. I am totally green when it comes to installing software in this environment.

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

Hi, dishdude.

No, you won't find Chrome in the PPM.....notwithstanding the fact that the PPM is the Ubuntu repos, basically, and is all open-source stuff (Chrome is partly proprietary), by far the greatest majority of Puppy's software is compiled and packaged by its members. The Puppy Forum is an absolute goldmine when it comes to software for Pup.

Have a look at my thread about Chrome over at the Puppy Forums:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107301

It'll direct you to the packages themselves; all perfectly safe. (Just remembered; there's actually the very last 32-bit Linux Chrome build there as well; grab it if you want!)

(I stand to gain absolutely nothing by spreading infected software to other Puppians, and have a lot to lose. I have a hard-won reputation for honesty & fair play on the Puppy Forums; I'm not losing the respect of my peers for anyone..! I love those guys, and have mucho respect for them, too; I've had so much help from them over the last 2 or 3 years, it's only natural to want to return the favour.)

Unlike the mainstream distros, who have whole teams of people that do nothing but maintain the repos, and vet packages, Puppy doesn't have that. It's a 'do-ocracy', really; those that can, do.....and everybody else does what they can. Many 'Puplets' are the work of just one individual; Pup's unique re-master facility makes this possible. Everybody can build their own Pup!!

I would estimate that over 90% of the available software for Puppy lies within the Forums themselves; the sheer number of private cloud-hosting accounts in use is staggering.....and this is the 'goldmine' I mentioned. This is where you will find nearly all the Puppy software.....the Puppy Forums are well worth a browse for this alone!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

Al & Nick are both aware of this, and they've taken the time and effort needed to explain this to Admin. General Forum policy, as I understand it, is that external links aren't allowed if they can't be verified as safe. The Linux & Unix sub-forum is kinda unique at BC in this respect, since so much Linux software is the work of private individuals, who then 'share' their work with others.....usually on Forums such as this (rather than salaried teams to whom it's just another 9 to 5.).

*Rant over*.....now, back 'on-topic'.  :lol:

My Chrome packages start life as the .deb download you get from the Chrome download site.....and are then re-packaged into the format that works with Puppy. Nothing magical about it; it's just that you will not find Chrome in any of the 'official' Puppy repos. Various people have been doing the 32-bit version over the years. Nobody was doing the 64-bit equivalent; I saw a gap, and filled it, mainly because the 64-bit Pups are slowly gaining in popularity. I've been at it for nearly a year now..!

Anyway; if you want to download the latest 64-bit SFS package, I'll explain to you tomorrow how to install, and 'load' it.....okay? I'm off to bed. G'night!

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 17 February 2017 - 10:35 PM.

pUPl7Xz.gif

#9 dishdude1

dishdude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:25 AM

Thanks, Mike! That would be awesome. This is a new old stock computer I ended up with, it wasn't too powerful when new and sitting on the shelf for 5 years hasn't made it any faster! It has a beautiful, bright HD display and the build quality is really nice on it. I think with Puppy this would be a nice little machine to use around the house, especially if I can get Chrome going!

Edited by dishdude1, 18 February 2017 - 01:25 AM.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Defenestraphobic

• 8,100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:29 AM

Hi.

Yup the Puppy forum is cool, It is  safe to download SFS and pets from the site, I have done so a number of times.

It is also OK for Mike to post direct links to the SFS and pets.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 18 February 2017 - 02:32 AM.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, Nick. Helps to make everything just that little bit more 'official'..!  :lol:

BTW:- Love that last line on your siggy. Nice one.....

Mike.  :thumbup2:  :wink:

pUPl7Xz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users