Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get my hp pc to use wifi?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marshmallow88888

marshmallow88888

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

I want to use this pc as a second pc and have it in my basement.  It won't recognize my wifi.  When I bring it up and connect it to the Cable modem via ethernet cable then I can use it on line.  Is it possible to get this computer to go on the internet via wifi (like an ipad)?  Here is what I have for network adapters:
Intel®82566DC-2 Gigabit Network connection
Microsoft6to4 Adapter #11, #14, #20,three of #21,#25,#34,#36,#37,#38,#43, three of #59,#60
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #11, two of #14, #15, #3, #4, #47, #62

If not, can it be set up for wireless by something I can purchase and install?  Will it work with my cable box then?

thanks!

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Do you have a wifi adapter installed or attached to the computer? From your post I am assuming you do not.

What is the OS?

There are WIFI dongles available that attach to a USB port in order to access WIFI. If the computer is a desktop look for one with an antenna.

#3 marshmallow88888

marshmallow88888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Do you have a wifi adapter installed or attached to the computer? From your post I am assuming you do not.

What is the OS?

There are WIFI dongles available that attach to a USB port in order to access WIFI. If the computer is a desktop look for one with an antenna.

thanks for your reply.  It is an HP Pavilion desktop.  About 8 years old.  Vista is the OS.  I do not think it has a wifi adapter.  I listed all the adapters in my original post.  ARe any of them wifi?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

No, you only have a LAN adapter. You can use one of these to avoid opening the computer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EEEKit-High-Power-2-Antenna-6dBi-USB-Wireless-WI-FI-Adapter-300Mbps-802-11-b-g-n-/182243955959?hash=item2a6e9614f7:g:EX0AAOSwENxXmbe-

#5 marshmallow88888

marshmallow88888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

do I need a router or will it work just with the cable box up two floors?  (box is top floor of house and pc will be in basement which is two floors down)

by the way, I don't mind having to open the computer.  Is there something I can put in the computer that would work better?

Edited by marshmallow88888, 16 February 2017 - 10:16 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

If your cable box is a Gateway/router which broadcasts WIFI then you will not need a router. If this is a pure cable modem then you will need to purchase a WIFI router as well as the WIFI adapter.

#7 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 2,015 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:23 AM

If you have a wireless router or modem/router, you can use a USB wireless network adapter to connect to your network. If not, you will need a wireless router to connect to the modem to broadcast a wireless signal.

Edited by iMacg3, 20 February 2017 - 10:24 AM.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users