Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Issue.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mauky

Mauky

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Hi, I have a Lenovo K430.

This started on Tuesday night after I got home from work. My computer prompted me to perform a restart to repair a disk error. The computer was almost completely unresponsive. Programs kept crashing, especially Firefox.

When I performed a disk repair, and booted the computer back up, it asked me to restart AGAIN.

I've since done a fresh install of Windows 10 to see if that would fix the issue, and it hasn't. When the install was complete, and the computer booted up for the first time to complete update downloads for install. Once it was completed, I let it restart. Everything seemed to be running smoothly. When I did this it said in a grey pop up window "Windows discovered a corruption in the file "C\\windows\provisioning". This file has now been repaired. Please check if any data in the file was lost because of the corruption.".

After it restarted to install the updates, it instead started a disk repair. It did this twice in a row without even booting up before I decided to skip it, and let the computer boot up.

I did a System file check and it gave me this:

KD89dFt.jpg

2017-02-16 12:17:22, Info                  CSI    000036b1 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:8]"wldp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ci-wldp-dll, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch.

2017-02-16 12:17:45, Info                  CSI    000036cf [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:8]"wldp.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-ci-wldp-dll, version 10.0.10586.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
2017-02-16 12:17:45, Info                  CSI    000036d0 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:175]"Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-WOW64-Package-AutoMerged-base~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.10586.0.Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-WOW64-Package-AutoMerged-base-Deployment"
2017-02-16 12:18:00, Info                  CSI    000036d1 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:23 ml:24]"\??\C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:8]"wldp.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Please help. I'm not the most tech savvy guy, but I can follow instructions pretty well.

Also, to add: Firefox does it the most, but some programs will crash for 5-10 seconds periodically with a (Program not responding) message at the top. And when the disk repair message started showing up, sometimes the screen would go black when trying to close a program, then it would come back to the desktop and whatever was running at the time. And last night it would not let me end any tasks in the task manager.

Edited by Mauky, 16 February 2017 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:38 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

#3 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

Oh, i'm sorry. It's a Lenovo K430. I'll add that to the main post.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

I am not sure if Lenovo has built in diagnostic Tools. They do have a bootable diagnostic tool here but I am not sure it will work for ideacentre.

UBCD is a diagnostic tool that can check your hard drive and memory. Burn the iso to a CD/DVD by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image on a Windows 7 or later computer. In order for it to boot you will need to disable SecureBoot and possibly enable Legacy Boot in your UEFI settings.

For checking your hard drive select Parted Magic at the menu screen. Once at the PartedMagic desktop click on DiskHealth. Do the short/long tests. If the drive passes then restart UBCD and select the Memory option. Scroll down or page through until you see Memtest+86. Run the test for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight. These test will at least rule out a hard drive / memory problem.

If you need data off the drive you can copy the data using Parted Magic using this guide.

#5 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

Burning to a disc now. The only USB stick I have has my windows 10 install on it currently.

#6 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

Did the extended test first, and it got to 10% before it encountered a read error. Turns out the guy who installed this replacement drive in my computer is very used.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

Try a new SATA cable and if possible attach it to a different port and run the test again. If you still get the read error then the drive is bad.

#8 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I think I might just get a new drive. This one is very used, and I was told it was brand new when I sent my computer in for repair last time...

I've been wanting to get a SSD for a minute, so I guess this is the best time to do so. I'll just get a new SATA cable for the install just in case.

But for the sake of it, I will run the tests again.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

If you were told it was brand new then I would demand a refund. The DiskHealth (Gsmartcontrol) program will show hours powered on under the Attributes tab.

info_failing.png

#10 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

Yeah, I saw the hours powered on...

I'll deal with that once my computer is up and running. Running the tests now with another serial cable.

#11 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

Over 42000 hours, and it failed the short test. Running the long test now.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

42 thousand ???!!!.....hours powered on ......is close to 5 years continuous running

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:13 PM

Yes it is. It failed the long test again with a different cable and slot. Guess it's time to get a new drive. SSD here I come.

On the topic of the SSD, is it relatively simple like plug and play? Run windows 10 on my USB stick, install it to the drive, and boot on the new drive?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

Yes it is. It failed the long test again with a different cable and slot. Guess it's time to get a new drive. SSD here I come.

On the topic of the SSD, is it relatively simple like plug and play? Run windows 10 on my USB stick, install it to the drive, and boot on the new drive?

That's basically it. Install the new SSD. Boot the USB and install.

#15 Mauky

Mauky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

Sweet, thanks for all your help. I learned a lot from this. If I need anything, i'll ask here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users