Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In the middle of a new build, looking for some advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenArrown

BrokenArrown

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Alright, let me start off by saying I'm not really on a budget but I'm not looking to spend insane amounts of money on one part. I'm fine with being around 2k-2,500 for the entire computer, but I don't want to spend 2k on a video card. 

Right now my build is as follows- 

GIGABYTE GA-B150M-DS3H Motherboard

Stryker M ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case 

32 Gig v Series Ripjaws DDR4 ram 2400

i7 7700k Processor

Devastator II gaming Keyboard and Mouse combo

250 gig ssd with 2 TD secondary storage (Western Digital) 

Right now my main struggles are picking a video card and picking a power supply. The power supply will be easy enough to find, but the video card is proving to be rather challenging. 

As I already stated, I'm not on a really tight budget restraint but I don't want to just throw large amounts of money at the first card I see. I would prefer to stay around 500 for the video card, but am willing to wiggle slightly. I started off looking at the Rog rx 480 but the more I look into it the more I think I want something higher end. The GTX 1080 seems like an option but from a ton of research the 1070 seems only very slightly lower performance and significantly less expensive.

The computer will mainly be used for higher end gaming and every day computing such as surfing Facebook, reading emails, typing papers and watching netflix.

I am located in the US ( New York) if that helps anyone. I buy most of my parts off of newegg.com

Any advice on a video card or power supply would be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by BrokenArrown, 16 February 2017 - 02:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

For high end gaming I don't recommend quad core CPU. Since AMD Ryzen is launched March 2., waiting until that day is highly recommended.

C07ipnWWQAAFzUv.jpg

Edited by Drillingmachine, 16 February 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#3 BrokenArrown

BrokenArrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:58 PM

From all the research that I have done on them, the 7700k still seems like a better processor. 

"And against the Ryzen SR7, the i7-7700K appears to enjoy a clear advantage even if the former is in overclocked mode. Per the BGR report, the 8-core SR7 seems to pack more steam compared to the quad-core 7700K but in real-world gaming application, for now, the difference hardly matters. That's because the majority of game title have yet to take advantage of the 8-core CPU muscle."

Read more: http://en.yibada.com/articles/183060/20170103/amd-ryzen-summit-ridge-sr7-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-specs-performance-and-price-comparison.htm#ixzz4Yscnbkiv

Not to mention, I already have my build basically complete, all I am really lacking is a power supply and video card. Everything else I either already have, or have on order.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

From all the research that I have done on them, the 7700k still seems like a better processor. 

"And against the Ryzen SR7, the i7-7700K appears to enjoy a clear advantage even if the former is in overclocked mode. Per the BGR report, the 8-core SR7 seems to pack more steam compared to the quad-core 7700K but in real-world gaming application, for now, the difference hardly matters. That's because the majority of game title have yet to take advantage of the 8-core CPU muscle."

Read more: http://en.yibada.com/articles/183060/20170103/amd-ryzen-summit-ridge-sr7-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-specs-performance-and-price-comparison.htm#ixzz4Yscnbkiv

Not to mention, I already have my build basically complete, all I am really lacking is a power supply and video card. Everything else I either already have, or have on order.

Quoting from a post from January doesn't make any sense in my opinion. At that point, the CPU's were limited to around 3.4GHz which isn't the same as the 4.0GHz. Why? Because AMD were still refining their architecture. Now, clock speeds have been increased and minor refinements and safety testing will be the only thing going on now. There's no full way of knowing whether Ryzen will be better or not until the public gets their hands on one complete model.

Anyway, seeing as you've already ordered everything, a 7700k and a GTX 1070/1080 will need a 500/550W PSU I'd say. You could go up to 800+ if you wanted to get a new GPU to have a dual 1070/1080 in the future but it should be something like that for now. Just make sure the PSU is well reviewed and rated, something like an EVGA 500B would be enough I'd say.

If you are using a 1080p monitor then a 1060 6GB would be enough but seeing as you have cash then you can future proof with a 1070 I guess. 1440p requires a 1070 for more demanding titles and a 4K set needs the 1080.
System Specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                           - Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)           - Audio: Corsair HS40 USB Gaming Headset
CPU: AMD FX-6350 (Vishera 32nm Technology)         - Display: HE247DPB (1920x1080/60Hz)                          - Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 ATA Device
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3/801MHz                - GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)         - Storage: 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

In crappy games with poor support for cores 7700K will be slightly better but not much. If game uses at least six cores, Ryzen is much faster. Ryzen turbo will be 4 GHz, 7700K turbo is 4.5 GHz max. There's only 12% difference in clock speeds and Ryzen has double amount of cores. Ryzen also has much better build quality (soldered HS and not an toothpaste crap). If talking about high end gaming, Ryzen is better and will be miles better in the future.

What you only have ordered, can be returned easily. To put this shortly: buying 7700K now is waste of money. In the end it's your money but you have been warned.

If you still want to buy that system, I see no idea combining 7700K with such low end motherboard. Also for video card you would want HBM2 card (not available right now) so something like RX 470 is good choice when waiting for those. GTX 1070 and 1080 are basically years old Maxwell architecture cards with 16nm tech and buying them with current prices is (again) waste of money.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

I would say wait to see how good Ryzen will actually be it should be very good in terms of what AMD has been lately pulling pretty much even with Intel Tech -- which is a good thing. Not sure about crappy games with poor support for cores that was something that people that bought FX 8350's 4 years ago said and that it would improve over time but it didn't. It was actually Intel that improved, and not only that but the current (and past) dual core I3's were the equal and many times the better of the FX 8350 in any and every game, even the ones that were supposed to take advantage of more cores. I think AMD will come around finally this time enough to be very competitive. A good thing for all.

Edited by Zone_86, 18 February 2017 - 06:04 PM.

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:13 AM

Ok did you just ask someone to return what he had already bought?

Edited by Zone_86, 18 February 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

I said ordered, not bought.

#9 BrokenArrown

BrokenArrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

Let's not turn this into some flame ware on my post please.

After doing more research I have basically decided to scrap this entire build. I canceled my order for the stuff I had pending. I'm going to be ordering a G4560 and building what I currently have with that processor and giving it to the wife for every day computing. 

As far as my high end gaming rig, I'm going to wait and atleast see what Ryzen has to offer. Can't hurt to atleast check it out.

#10 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

Good luck with whatever build you decide on once you do complete it.

Edited by Zone_86, 18 February 2017 - 05:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users