Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ransom.cerber

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Daanmakus

Daanmakus

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hello,

I need some help because a pop-up came up on my computer saying my files etc have been encrypted.

When I try and open files and pictures they are indeed encrypted.

I tried to restore the system but when I go to system restore there are no restore points.  I read something somewhere that said I could restore from a shadow copy but I am not sure how to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

Most crypto malware will typically delete (though not always) all shadow copy snapshots (created if System Restore was enabled) with vssadmin.exe so that you cannot restore your files from before they had been encrypted using native Windows Previous Versions or a program like Shadow Explorer. But it never hurts to try in case the malware did not do what it was supposed to do...it is not uncommon for these infections to sometimes fail to properly delete Shadow Volume Copies.

In some cases the use of file recovery software such as R-Studio or Photorec may be helpful to recover some of your original files but there is no guarantee that will work...again it never hurts to try.

There are several different variants of Cerber Ransomware with different file extensions appended to the end of encrypted filenames and ransom notes.

Trend Micro released a Ransomware File Decryptor for victims of earlier Cerber v1 infections but it has limitations. Unfortunately, there is still no known way to decrypt files encrypted by Cerber v2/v3 or newer v4x/v5x variants which use 10 random characters with a random 4 character (i.e. .b71c) hexadecimal extension without paying the ransom.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic victims you can post comments, ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.

When or if a solution is found, that information will be provided in that support topic and you will receive notification if subscribed to it. In addition, a news article most likely will be posted on the BleepingComputer front page.

Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion...it includes experiences by experts, a variety of IT consultants, end users and company reps who have been affected by ransomware infections. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users