Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender or Avast?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:01 AM

I'm trying to decide whether or not to use Avast. I think it's better than defender but defender does stop you from downloading suspicious stuff. So I dunno. I do have anti-malware as well though. The person that uses the PC is smart about what not to click on, its just that they do get a lot of random wallpaper. Any suggestions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

This has been answered in the Past , and i cannot find the post itself.

Windows Defender is not an Antivirus , its more for Malware.

As you have a Antimalware Program allready , you could install Avast as your Antivirus { or MSE } i prefer Avast Antivirus Free , and i have Defender by default also , not that it does much in my opinion.

Edited by Havachat, 16 February 2017 - 03:57 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:12 AM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-malware (anti-spyware) program intended to supplement your anti-virus program, not replace it. 

Windows 8/10 Defender is Microsoft's free built-in (integrated) anti-virus and anti-malware solution which provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits.

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

That gives me something to think about. I had seen some articles about Avast! sliding down the quality scale. Maybe I'll just go with Avira or something. Thanks for the advice. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif