Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB not being recognized in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

I had built a computer for my buddy about 5 years ago.  Computer is still in excellent shape.  He had an issue booting to windows.  I fixed it in the advanced start up menu.  However, after It fixed the boot up problem and Windows started, my wireless mouse and keyboard are not being recognized.  In fact, nothing I plug into the USB2 or 3 drives is being seen by the computer.  I tried booting into safe mode but the same thing is happening.  I booted to the Advanced Start up screen and the BIOS menu and the keyboard and mouse work fine in both.  I could be wrong but I believe its a bad driver.  Problem is I cannot update them without at least a mouse.  Is there a way to update the driver outside of windows?  Or is there a way to maybe load Ubuntu onto a flash drive, boot to it, and delete the driver from there so that way when I start windows it will automatically download a new driver through windows update?  Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Try the following. If this gets you to the Advanced Options > Troubleshooting it may be possible to do a System Restore if System Restore is active.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#3 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Try the following. If this gets you to the Advanced Options > Troubleshooting it may be possible to do a System Restore if System Restore is active.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Tried this but the only restore point is from yesterday when I got the computer.  There were no earlier restore points.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Windows 10 offers a reset with the option to keep personal files but all programs would need to be reinstalled, not an optimal solution. Unfortunately, I do not know how to add USB drivers to an offline Windows install as these drivers are native to Windows 10. 

When you select Command Prompt from Advanced Boot Options do you have a functioning keyboard?

#5 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:25 PM

Windows 10 offers a reset with the option to keep personal files but all programs would need to be reinstalled, not an optimal solution. Unfortunately, I do not know how to add USB drivers to an offline Windows install as these drivers are native to Windows 10. 

When you select Command Prompt from Advanced Boot Options do you have a functioning keyboard?

Ideally I would like to keep everything intact. If I had a mouse with a ps/2 jack everything would be fine but those things are impossible to find in any stores. And yes the keyboard and mouse work in advanced boot.

Edited by Dr. Joe, 15 February 2017 - 07:29 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:43 PM

In a command prompt type. 

sfc /scannow

If sfc /scannow does not solve the problem try the DISM command

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

#7 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

In a command prompt type. 

sfc /scannow

If sfc /scannow does not solve the problem try the DISM command

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

Opened command prompt in Advanced boot menu and tried everything you said but it said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation".  Treid the DISM commands but it tells me the options are unknown.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

When inputting the DISM command do you have spaces between each entry?

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users