Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Ubuntu 16.05 Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 randywmcclain

randywmcclain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 16.05 on a  PC with a blank NTSF formatted hard drive.  I get to the part of the installation that wants you to choose a partition to install to and that's all the further.  The dialogue box does not list the partition I created on the hard drive.  However, if I simply boot Ubuntu without installing it see's the drive. I've tried the install using a USB stick and a DVD with the same result. What am I missing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Drives will appear under different designations in Linux than you are used to (and the NTFS file system will be replaced with a Linux file system by the installer).

Please boot up with Ubuntu and run this command in a Terminal, then copy and paste the output into a post here. Then we can see what partitions you have, and what the installer will call them.
sudo parted -l
(Please let me know if you need more detailed instructions on how to open a terminal and run this command)

#3 randywmcclain

randywmcclain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:58 PM

I tried the command and received the following:
Parted: invalid option --'1'
Usage: parted [-hlmsv] [-a<align>] [Device[command[parameters]]...]
Any thoughts?

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:04 PM

I tried the command and received the following:
Parted: invalid option --'1'
Usage: parted [-hlmsv] [-a<align>] [Device[command[parameters]]...]
Any thoughts?

The character in question is a lower case L, and not the numeral 1.

To avoid any confusion, you can copy and paste the command from my post, into the terminal.

#5 randywmcclain

randywmcclain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  It looked like a 1 to me.  I'm having difficulty with the cut and paste as I'm running this off of the DVD.  Real SLOW.  Here are the results for the command 'sudo parted -l' :

Model: ATA ST380815AS (scsi)

Disk: /dev/sda: 80.0GB

Sector Size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

Disk Flags:

Number      Start           End         Size        Type         File System     Flags

1         8225KB      80.0GB   80.0GB   Extension                             lba

5         8258KB      80.0GB   80.0GB     logical            ntfs                   

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-Only file system).  /dev/sr0 has been opened read-only

Model: TSSTCorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C (scsi)

Disk  /dev/sr0: 1513MB

Sector Size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B

Partition Table: mac

Disk Flags:

Number      Start           End        Size       File System     Name      Flags

1          2048B        6143B    4096B                            Apple             

2          1499MB    1501MB  2425KB                          EFI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users