Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Setting up a second monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elsiethewondercat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum and hope there are some techies out there who might be able to help me more than the ACER online team, who have been useless.

I own an Acer Aspire Z1 621, SNID 50100013969.  I wanted to attach a second monitor and bought an HDMI to VGA cable to attached a separate Acer monitor, which is VGA only.  The Aspire does not have an VGA port.

I have since found out that this does not work because the desktop computer's HDMI port is input only and not output, which is really helpful Acer, thanks!! (incidentally does anyone know the reason for this?)  Acer have basically suggested that i use the Aspire as the second monitor to a laptop, but what is the use of that when the aspire is the computer i need to access.

My question is, is there any other way I can attach a second monitor?  I am looking into buying a USB to AVG cable, would this work? Acer say 'no', but can't tell me why...

If anyone has any bright ideas i'd be grateful.  I am not too technical with computers (but I'm learning as I go along) so if you could explain it in dummy language I'd really appreciate it...

Many thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,285 posts
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I've used these in the past to add additional monitors to machines without additional video ports.  Provided you're not running games on it you shouldn't have any issues.

#3 elsiethewondercat

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thank you. I have ordered similar so finders crossed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users