Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PRI or VoIP ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bortega

Bortega

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:58 AM

Hello All,

I'm working on upgrading my entire phone system in my office and Telecommunications is not my cup of tea. We currently using a PBX and copper lines, Voice quality is horrendous when its windy, rains, or snows. I've looked into PRI (potentially hook it up with my PBX) and VoIP, but I can't wrap my head around these 2 systems. Can anyone give me some advice or shed some light on this? Which one is being used out there? Any information is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ItsAllGeekToMe

ItsAllGeekToMe

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

Not sure if you still need advice on this.    The quality issues that you mention above sound like a carrier issue.  The PBX that I use is Cisco Unified Communications Manager.  It's a little pricey, but it is a VoIP system.  Our organization has multiple sites and three of them have gateways that use a PRI to connect to the carrier.  So the in house solution is VoIP, but it connects to the carrier via a PRI circuit.  We are in the process of looking into getting away from the PRI and using SIP which will create load balancing and should reduce overall long term costs.  I am still looking into the details of that to see how much of a reduction in cost that will be as we will need to purchase CUBE licenses for the gateways.  Hope that helps.

#3 jasonemurray

jasonemurray

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

How do you plan on getting your data in?  Since VOIP will come in over a data line, if that line is copper then it will most likely have issues.  Most all building just have one trunk bundle of copper coming in, so if some pairs are bad (noisy) they will be even worse as a data circuit.  Best scenario is Fiber, and then VOIP would be better as long as you have QOS or separate data lines for voice and data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users