Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digital Audio Workstation Motherboard Suggestion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teratosis

teratosis

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Hey hey, 

I have a rather dated system from 2008 (https://www.karma-lab.com/ol/images/miko-lxd-lg.jpg) that is only used as a digital audio workstation. It has an Intel Desktop DQ45CB motherboard with an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 processor running Windows XP. I have it dual booting Windows 7 Ultimate from a separate drive, was attempting to build a 64 bit OS on the system. Modern audio interfaces, DAWs, virtual instruments/fx don't perform well on that DQ45CB.

As crazy as it seems, but due to that older motherboard, the XP partition out performs the W7 partition. I have over 300 recording projects, tons of 32-bit virtual instruments and samples, I need to keep this OS and drive as is. So I will yank that motherboard out and drop in a case with that XP drive. 

What I would like get advice on, which newer microATX motherboard (Intel chipset) would be suggested? Windows 10 will be the primary OS moving forward, but I will clone that XP drive to a new drive and drop in the new system. I know the limitations of XP, but in case some more up to date motherboard may not be compatible with Windows XP, and always got good advice here, thought I would ask for suggestions.

Thanks. 

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2017 - 05:48 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware, moved back - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:41 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=DQ45CB+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Replacement board seems to be available.  I don't imagine that there has been a motherboard made in the last 20 years...on which XP cannot be installed.  The only potential headache I can think of would be the drivers for XP...and those would be included on the Drivers CD which accompanies the replacement motherboard.

Louis

#3 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:01 PM

Sorry for the confusion, not looking to replace the motherboard. It works fine as is, but is too dated for proper use in Windows 10 and professional audio applications and hardware. 

I am seeking suggestions on a new up to date microAtx motherboard for pro audio. I wasn't absolutely sure if newer boards would be incompatible with XP. 

thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:26 PM

As I said...the only problem with compatibility would be the lack of XP drivers.  Many motherboard manufacturers don't bother with backward compatibility with an O/S which has no support from Microsoft.

That said...you can find many boards where the Drivers CD will reflect XP drivers...or you can go though the somewhat laborious task of chasing drivers for XP down.

How much money do you want to spend on this board?  All the motherboards supporting Win 7 also support Win 10...that cannot be said when it comes to XP support.

Google Says...

Louis

#5 teratosis

teratosis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

I've built a couple gaming systems based on advice I've gotten here, that turned out great. So I didn't go Google it myself. Wanted to see what kind of suggestions if any. Not looking to buy the most expensive board nor the least expensive. 

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

Members here will be glad to provide their opinions.  I find those suggestions/ideas to be somewhat limited when it comes to picking out hardware for me, based on my wants/desires/needs...so I like to do my own research.

Standby for what others might suggest :).

Louis

#7 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:31 AM

hi,

professional audio and video is a part of my job and i would like to share my experience

i have stayed on windows xp since my programs are old (2005 till 2008) 

i would say a socket 1155 motherboard is a good option if you really want windows xp x32 and x64 since the newer motherboards are not compatible anymore with windows xp

i am still working with my little celeron g530 and is quite good on audio even with large wave files 700+ mb with a number of vst plugins like compressor, equalizer, noise gate, reverb, echo etc... no problems at all

for video edit and rendering my little celeron can do the job but only on standard definition videos with some video effects

my advice is to try to find a used s1155 motherboard with an intel cpu g840 or g860 pentium (dual core) or if you want to spend some more money the intel i3 is a good choice with 4 gb of ram (plenty for audio)

if you want to go for an 64 bits windows xp then 8 gb ram is not a bad thing but i think is too much...8 gb of ram is quite good for some video edit and rendering in hd although not for very complicated jobs...

as for a graphics card the nvidia gt730 is all that you need...

see, my profile for the pc's i have and make your decision...

good luck my friend

Edited by nickos, 19 February 2017 - 05:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users