Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded from 7 to 10, files missing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dzmt

dzmt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

Good morning forum,

So i am at my wits end on this. I recently upgraded my PC from 7 to 10, upgrade went fine and i selected to save all my personal files. Once the upgrade was done and i went to try to sign in. My computer kept getting stuck in a loop on the welcome screen. SO, i decided to to reset the pc which means uninstalling software and starting fresh. My question is can i get any of those files that were associated with the programs that were uninstalled? I am a music producer and my Fruity Loops application was uninstalled and in the files of the program theres a save folder for the projects you are working on. So i would really like to know if i can retrieve them.

TL;DR

upgraded computer, missing music files, help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:57 AM

I am unclear as to how you did the Reset.  If you did the Reset with the "keep my files" option then all of your personal files (not programs, but any data files) should still be available to you.  If you used the Reset feature that wipes the machine, then they will not.

Did you back up your data and/or take a system image before upgrading your system?  If so, those files should be retrievable from the backup.  If it was a system image backup you'll have to restore back to Windows 7, backup your data files separately so you've got them ready to grab, if needed, then upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 dzmt

dzmt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I am unclear as to how you did the Reset.  If you did the Reset with the "keep my files" option then all of your personal files (not programs, but any data files) should still be available to you.  If you used the Reset feature that wipes the machine, then they will not.

Did you back up your data and/or take a system image before upgrading your system?  If so, those files should be retrievable from the backup.  If it was a system image backup you'll have to restore back to Windows 7, backup your data files separately so you've got them ready to grab, if needed, then upgrade to Windows 10 again.

I apologize its so weird to explain, the way i did the reset was i was on the welcome screen and held down shift and selected to restart the machine, and it opened the recovery tools. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,528 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

And I'm not trying to be difficult, truly, but this still doesn't answer the question.

When you do a reset you are always presented with two options prior to the actual process starting, one that keeps your files, the other that does a completely "clean sweep" of the machine.

Without knowing the type of reset that was done it is impossible to advise you correctly.  That being said, if the Reset completed and you've got a running Windows 10 instance where you had to create (or recreate) your login ID then you probably did a clean sweep and you won't have your files.  If you do a "Keep my files" your user login and your data files should be maintained.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 dzmt

dzmt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:58 AM

And I'm not trying to be difficult, truly, but this still doesn't answer the question.

When you do a reset you are always presented with two options prior to the actual process starting, one that keeps your files, the other that does a completely "clean sweep" of the machine.

Without knowing the type of reset that was done it is impossible to advise you correctly.  That being said, if the Reset completed and you've got a running Windows 10 instance where you had to create (or recreate) your login ID then you probably did a clean sweep and you won't have your files.  If you do a "Keep my files" your user login and your data files should be maintained.

Its okay :) no worries , 

I did a keep my files reset. Problem is the programs installed on my pc prior to doing the reset were uninstalled. The default save folder for Fruity Loops is attached to its program file tree, so I am trying to find out if I can get those files back. 

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,528 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

If you do not have these backed up it is highly doubtful that you will get them back "by conventional methods."

You have now, indirectly, also learned a painful lesson:  Even if a given program defaults to saving in a folder structure beneath its location in the Program Files directory you should immediately get into settings and change that so that they are placed somewhere else.  I cannot understand why anyone writes stuff anymore that uses a hierarchy under Program Files for user data.

You might want to consider downloading TestDisk and using the PhotoRec (Photo Recovery, which can recover a lot more than photos) to scan your drive for the specific file types you wish to get back to see if it can reconstruct a lot of them.  Do not take the default of recovering "everything" or you'll have so much data you won't want to sift through it all.  You'll need an external drive on to which PhotoRec will place the recovered files.  You should do this sooner, rather than later, as all of the data blocks that hold those files are now available for the taking by Windows 10 as new files are created.  The longer you wait the more likely that something is going to have been overwritten.  Definitely scan your unallocated space, too.

#7 dzmt

dzmt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

If you do not have these backed up it is highly doubtful that you will get them back "by conventional methods."

You have now, indirectly, also learned a painful lesson:  Even if a given program defaults to saving in a folder structure beneath its location in the Program Files directory you should immediately get into settings and change that so that they are placed somewhere else.  I cannot understand why anyone writes stuff anymore that uses a hierarchy under Program Files for user data.

You might want to consider downloading TestDisk and using the PhotoRec (Photo Recovery, which can recover a lot more than photos) to scan your drive for the specific file types you wish to get back to see if it can reconstruct a lot of them.  Do not take the default of recovering "everything" or you'll have so much data you won't want to sift through it all.  You'll need an external drive on to which PhotoRec will place the recovered files.  You should do this sooner, rather than later, as all of the data blocks that hold those files are now available for the taking by Windows 10 as new files are created.  The longer you wait the more likely that something is going to have been overwritten.  Definitely scan your unallocated space, too.

Thank you so much for this! I will test it out once i get home tonight! 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Any files in the that were located in the Windows folders for Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures will be saved when you do a reset with the option to keep your files.  The rest will be uninstalled.  This will include updates, programs obtained in the App Store, any third party programs, email, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dzmt

dzmt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

So there is nothing i can do then..

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

You can try the recovery tools suggested by Brian.  This is a iffy proposition most of the time, but who knows, you might get lucky.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 dzmt

dzmt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

You can try the recovery tools suggested by Brian.  This is a iffy proposition most of the time, but who knows, you might get lucky.

i will try it when i get home thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users