Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My printer claims it's running out of ink, but I still can print. Should I?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 andrew101

andrew101

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

Please help me to solve out this problem. I am looking for early replies.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2017 - 07:06 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Well, in the decades that I've owned printers I continue printing until a given ink color is out.  Quite a few printers warn well ahead of actually running out.

Some, like Canon printers that have replaceable ink tanks but a fixed print head also give dire warnings about potentially damaging your print head.  So far that's never happened.  On many others, where the print head is a part of the ink cartridge itself that's a non-issue as the print head is replaced with the cartridge.

So my opinion is one prints until a given color stops printing.

I also favor printers with individual ink tanks per ink type.  Every blessed tri-color cartridge I've ever dealt with manages to run out of one of the three colors in advance of the other two.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

I agree with Brian, I Print until the print fades out, Usually I can get quite a few pages more that way. FWIW that applies to Inkjets and Laser Printers.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

+1.....for years I have used Canon printers, and my Pixma iP7220 gives warnings about low ink level, but I continue printing until the printer shuts down messaging me that a certain tank is empty. I have never damaged a print head because the printer will not print.

In addition (although you didn't ask) I have used generic carts that I order online. I have repeatedly been warned that generic ink will do all kinds of bad things, and that is hogwash. Only once did one of my printers get a clogged printhead, and a good, heavy cleaning under warm water opened it up and I used that same printer for years afterwards.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

My experience directly mirrors that of ranchhand_.   One of the reasons I prefer Canon printers (and there are some Epsons, too) is that they have individual ink tanks per color and are designed such that the use of refillable ink tanks is easy.  Even in the age of ink tanks with chips, you can buy refillable tanks with auto-reset chips that reset themselves to "full" if removed from the printer for a few minutes.  If I get the odd one that doesn't reset, but I know that it has plenty of ink in it, I simply ignore any printer warning I get on that cartridge.

The only ink that I have had any problem with is pigmented black because the pigment itself can build up over time.  My workaround for that is to occasionally fill the pigmented black cartridge with dye-based black, which "flushes out" the build-up.  It's worked like a charm.

Ink cartridges have got to be "the biggest racket" in the computing industry.  When buying several inkjet ink cartridges costs in excess of the printer itself, which came with ink cartridges, something's not quite right.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Let's make this unanimous... Run it till it quits, rolls over and dies, or runs up a white flag. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

@dc3.....OR you can do this! Much more satisfaction!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

@dc3.....OR you can do this! Much more satisfaction!

I love it.  Someone with sense of humor similar to mine. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

They just put chips in the cartage to scare people in to buying more ink, its just trying to rip people off and they sell their ink for more then liquid gold. Anyway you can find to rip off the printer people is the way to go.

Price of the cartridge (please note the correct spelling) is immaterial in my opinion.  They are only giving you a forewarning that you are running low on ink.  If I was back in college and had a large paper to print out I most certainly would want to know this so I could either replace the cartridge or use another printer.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

dc3, I'll have to disagree with you with regard to my speculation on adding chips on ink cartridges.   All of my pre-chip printers still gave estimated ink levels and warnings when you were getting low.  The only, and I do mean only, difference I found once chips became standard is that the previously relatively convenient "drill and refill" cartridge reuse method came to a grinding stop for most people and generated a cottage industry of sketchy "chip reset" devices so that one could "drill and refill" again.

Once ARC (auto-reset chips) on "generic" refillable cartridges for a given printer line came into existence the previously mentioned cottage industry suffered greatly and although one doesn't have to drill, popping that little rubber cork and refilling is a breeze.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

As longs as it still prints you can continue to use it until the print quality becomes an issue.  I had a Dell color laser that was below 30% toner for over a year.  It worked just fine, but I received a low toner warning every time I printed.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

dc3, I'll have to disagree with you with regard to my speculation on adding chips on ink cartridges.   All of my pre-chip printers still gave estimated ink levels and warnings when you were getting low.  The only, and I do mean only, difference I found once chips became standard is that the previously relatively convenient "drill and refill" cartridge reuse method came to a grinding stop for most people and generated a cottage industry of sketchy "chip reset" devices so that one could "drill and refill" again.

Once ARC (auto-reset chips) on "generic" refillable cartridges for a given printer line came into existence the previously mentioned cottage industry suffered greatly and although one doesn't have to drill, popping that little rubber cork and refilling is a breeze.

At the risk of :deadhorse:

I have no clue just what if anything you are disagreeing about.  All I stated was " They are only giving you a forewarning that you are running low on ink."  This is true.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

At the risk of :deadhorse:

I have no clue just what if anything you are disagreeing about.  All I stated was " They are only giving you a forewarning that you are running low on ink."  This is true.

There is a clear implication, based on what you followed up on, that you are trying to refute the idea that chips were added to printer ink cartridges as an "ink purchase inducement technique" by the printer makers.

I am saying that this implication is, in my opinion, wrong.  Your statement about giving you a forewarning is a given, as I pointed out this was done long before the era of chips in ink cartridges.  The chips also make it anywhere from very difficult to virtually impossible to do simple refills on a lot of cartridges where that used to be possible.

I'll come out with my assessment of why they were put in:  To force the sale of more ink and to prevent people from refilling ink cartridges.  They don't seem to have any useful features otherwise.  I share the opinion of Bulletz4Breakfast, which you seemed to be disputing quite directly.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

You apparently are reading into what I have posted.  I have not implied anything regarding this chip.  The chip is superfluous to what I posted.  

#15 andrew101

andrew101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:26 AM

Oh thank you all for solving my issue. I thought it is some serious issue and worried about my printer. I have followed instructions as you have all mentioned and now it's working fine. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users