Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Nvidia Driver Issue?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Naomeister

Naomeister

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:29 AM

Hey there,

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz    40 °C
    Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D PREMIUM (LGA1366)    28 °C
Graphics
    Acer P223W (1680x1050@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (EVGA)    24 °C
Storage
    596GB Western Digital WDC WD6401AALS-00J7B1 ATA Device (SATA)    43 °C
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS15 ATA Device
Audio
    Plantronics GameCom

I've been having some on-and-off problems with what I believe to be my GPU. I couldn't find anything about it on this site yet, though I did see some potential hits on other sites.

Basically what's been happening is at various points, almost always (though not universally) while I have a game open, one of a few things will happen:

1. The screen will go black for about a second and then go a flat colour, becoming completely unresponsive with no sound. This requires a hard reboot to correct. It's NOT a BSOD. Screen is most typically white, beige, or rarely black.
  2. The screen will go black and the monitor will momentarily no longer receive a signal, before it recovers and the Nvidia icon shows a tooltip saying that the driver has crashed due to a kernel error (Nvidia windows kernel mode driver 378.66 stopped responding and was recovered successfully.). This was formerly the only crash, but now the others are more common.
  3. Similar to option one, the screen will go a blank colour, before recovering, with no error tooltip.
  4. Similar to option one, the screen will go a blank colour and become completely unresponsive, but will automatically reboot after about 10 seconds.
  5. Only once recently, a similar crash occurred an hour after Furmark had finished a two hour benchmark, while nothing major was open. The monitor went black for a moment, this time, and then came back with the pre-crash image, but screwed up with blue and red artifacts. The system was unresponsive and required a hard reboot.

These have been repeatable with most games, but irregularly, and not with all games. I have encountered this repeatedly with Total War: Attila, For Honor, and even 80 Days. Previously, during the last bout of dealing with this, Witcher 3, Company of Heroes 2, Civilization 5, and a number of other games were also affected. However, so far, I have been able to play games like Civilization 3 with impunity.

As mentioned, I haven't been able to repeat it consistently. I've been able to go an entire day without a single crash even while playing Attila or For Honour, while I've had other days where it crashes repeatedly. Typically I can get away with playing for hours at the start of the day before the first crash occurs, but occasionally it starts right off the bat when a game is opened. Also as mentioned, it occurred once with no games or major programs open, though about an hour after a two-hour Furmark test.

From what I recall, these problems only started occurring when I installed the driver update that came out around when Witcher 3 came out, that was updated for that game. It started immediately after that update. I tried searching for solutions back then, but doing a clean roll back to 353 was the only thing I could find that worked, though only with additional tweaks. That worked for a long period (3-6 months), but then it started happening again. After dusting out the computer, unseating and then reseating the GPU, it began working again (for several months again, with occasional hiccups), though lately it's started back up again heavily. Dusting and unseating/reseating had little effect. I was still using the rolled back drivers. I since tried updating them again to try to fix it, but no dice.

Things I've tried to fix/diagnose it:

1. Doing a clean install of my graphics drivers.

2. Doing a clean rollback with DDU to a suggested driver (353) from before the problems began.

3. Updating graphics driver to the newest version, and then rolling back again. Neither worked.

4. Ran GPU-Z and found no apparent issues.

5. Ran Furmark for two hours, with no problems. Crash only occurred an hour after I closed Furmark.

6. Unseated and reseated GPU.

7. Did a thorough dusting, checked cables.

There are no indications this is due to overheating unless it's the PSU, GPU-Z says the GPU gets more than sufficient power, and there are no detected conflicting driver files for graphics cards that I can find.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Naomeister, 15 February 2017 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naomeister

Naomeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Update:

Also tried using CCleaner and DDU to do a completely fresh install with the newest driver, fixed up the registry and everything. First time my computer started up after that, I got a white screen crash within 30 seconds of opening a game. After force rebooting, I got a black screen crash without any games open at all. The latter occurred after Windows had started but before startup operations had finished.

I've since done a bit of fiddling around inside the computer and managed to get the computer to start up long enough to type this, but I don't know when another crash might occur.

This was an issue I had when I previously updated passed driver 353.62, but hadn't had since the roll back and fiddling with settings.

Another update since no one's responded yet.

Had another minor crash (second error in the list in the first post). GPU-Z log from when the crash occurred, if this helps at all. Had Attila running along with a Youtube video:

2017-02-15 17:27:14 ,             1150.1   ,               1350.0   ,               49.0   ,              43   ,           2017   ,         88   ,                       37   ,                   0   ,                    5   ,                    67.2   ,               8   , 1.1810   ,
2017-02-15 17:27:15 ,             1150.1   ,               1350.0   ,               49.0   ,              43   ,           2017   ,         87   ,                       36   ,                   0   ,                    5   ,                    89.0   ,               8   , 1.1810   ,
2017-02-15 17:27:16 ,             1150.1   ,               1350.0   ,               49.0   ,              43   ,           2017   ,         87   ,                       36   ,                   0   ,                    5   ,                    62.6   ,               8   , 1.1810   ,
2017-02-15 17:27:22 ,             1019.6   ,               1350.0   ,               42.0   ,              40   ,             61   ,          0   ,                        0   ,                   0   ,                    0   ,                     4.9   ,              16   , 1.0430   ,
2017-02-15 17:27:22 ,             1019.6   ,               1350.0   ,               41.0   ,              40   ,             61   ,          2   ,                        1   ,                   0   ,                    1   ,                     4.8   ,              16   , 1.0430   ,
2017-02-15 17:27:23 ,             1019.6   ,               1350.0   ,               41.0   ,              40   ,             97   ,          3   ,                        1   ,                   0   ,                    0   ,                     4.9   ,              16   , 1.0430   ,

ANOTHER update:

Since updating the drivers to the latest version, the crashes appear to be getting more frequent and are occurring outside of games. So far all out-of-game crashes have occurred after in-game crashes or after a reboot from an in-game crash, save for the after-Furmark crash.

Edited by Naomeister, 16 February 2017 - 01:22 AM.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

What is the wattage/age/model of your PSU?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 Naomeister

Naomeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

What is the wattage/age/model of your PSU?

750 watts, a Corsair TX750w. Roughly 5 years old.

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for the info.

Please run this reporting tool:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

and attach the requested files in your next post.

Thanks much!

Useful information!
Please ONLY use the .ZIP compression format — do NOT use .7z, .RAR, etc.!

Also, please run Speccy:

• Download and save Speccy from here.
• Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
• Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe, and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
• After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
• Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 Naomeister

Naomeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:52 AM

Alright, I can't do a Perfmon scan because apparently the Data Collector Set's already in use, but here's the speccy, and the BSOD thing is attached.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6oLPjOqRovGAOHua83udWbP

Thank you for your help so far.

Attached Files

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:55 AM

Haven't had a look at your logs, but try version 337.88. Please perform a Custom Installation. You should only install the Graphics Drivers and PhysX software. :exclame: DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!!

#8 Naomeister

Naomeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Hey there, I apologize for the late reply. I've been working through some potential fixes with an Nvidia rep first, but because of the irregularity of the issue, it takes a while to test to see if it's actually working. I've consistently gone a day and a half without a crash, so it takes a bit. Bear with me, please.

Update: Testing that driver now.

Edited by Naomeister, 22 February 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the update. Please keep us in the know!

#10 Talzanar

Talzanar

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

I too have recently ran into this issue as of maybe 4 days ago? Everything ran lovely for a very long time. Purchased For Honor, Played for a couple of days and updated drivers and now I cannot play over half my games library!

Also trouble shooting with Ubisoft came to no avail and they are looking deeper into the issue with there Experts.

Has anyone else made any kind of headway?

Also installing that driver so fingers crossed!

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:26 PM

Talzanar, please start your own topic. :)

#12 Naomeister

Naomeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:36 AM

Alright, I may have gotten to the bottom of it, though I can't quite confirm what the solution was. After some more errors started popping up (like random CPU heat spikes, weird internet anomalies, etc), I ended up replacing the thermal paste on my CPU (it was getting on in age). While dealing with the CPU, I also pulled the drivers back to 337.88 as you suggested. One of those two things seems to have fixed the crashes. I've gone two and a half days without a problem so far, though I'm wary about updating the drivers to see if the GPU crashes continue, as it's just nice to have things working again.

So, to sum up, the solution seems to have either been:

1. Replacing thermal paste.

2. Rolling back to 337.88.

Thank you for the help either way!

Edited by Naomeister, 28 February 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. The solution was probably a combination of both.

#14 Naomeister

Naomeister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Alright, so after nearly a month, it seems that may have been a false hope. I just had another pair of crashes while running Stellaris and a Youtube video (error 3, followed by error 1 a few seconds later). Drivers are still rolled back, and thermal paste appeared to be working fine, so no idea what the problem might be now.

Edited by Naomeister, 23 March 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,023 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. :( Please run the Sysnative File Collection App again.

Thanks.

Regards,

bwv848

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users